Polaris ATV Forum banner

New ATV Decisions...

7K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Kurac 
#1 ·
So after running my 2003 Sportsman 500 HO for 13 years I am ready to get a new quad.

Having a real hard time though between three models..

The 850, 850SP and the 1K.

At first I was sure the 850 would be all that I would need and then I started to look at the SP version and while I really like the paint and the wheels better on the SP I have to say I am not all that wild about getting the power steering. Just another thing that can break and I have never had it or needed it on any wheeler that I have owned. First question for those with the power steering, how reliable is it and have you ever had any issues with it?

Then of course the dealer starts in with the 1000 talk and while I like the additional power not sure about the added weight and the new A-ARM style on the 1K.

What do you guys think on the following?

Is the extra HP really noticeable between the 850 and 1K?

Is the added weight on the 1K noticeable?

This purchase will be my quad for at least ten years and I want to get it right.

What would you guys get?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The power steering hasn't given me a bit of trouble on 2015 1K touring. Don't know the exact mileage, but coming up on 2000 I think.

You'll definitely notice the horsepower. Whether it matters to you or not is a different story. Both are plenty fast enough to kill you. I don't generally get to open mine up because I ride 90% of the time with my daughter on the back, but one of the last times I rode (no passenger), I was on some nice sandy route with my buddy on an 850 (his is not a touring). Even with my bigger heavier tires, and my own body weight being about 80 lbs more than his, my 2-up was pulling away steadily the entire time when we had the hammer down... especially at the top end.

I can't comment much on the weight difference, but my guess is that they're both so heavy you wouldn't really notice a difference.

Reactions: jhalpinjr
#3 ·
Is the added weight on the 1K noticeable?
Which begs the question... why is the 1000 heavier anyway? Can't believe the different suspension components and 2 extra rack extenders add 55 lbs.

#4 ·
I was in your exact situation. I went with the 850SP.

Lots of power even with my girl on the back (not a 2up model) you think the power steering is a waste, until you actually feel the difference you'll never want to ride without it again. The SP model also has Active Descent Control, you can crawl down hills with no gas or break, and it keeps you at a nice crawl. I used it on steep rockface with a mix of loose gravel and boulders without sliding at all. All the models have engine breaking.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Have to 2nd with Irish^ I have a 2016 850SP Touring and an ArticCat 2 up without power steering. Its so worth it in my opinion. effortless steering, saves on fatigue and aching after a full days ride. I haven't heard of many problems with it...mines newer, but others have chimed in thus far with no issue.

I also like the Close ratio clutching and wheels versus the Non SP models.

#5 ·
No personal experience on the machines listed.... but I personally would go with the 850SP, or at least that's the machine I'd love to upgrade too! :D

#7 ·
the 1k is the "top of the line" machine. If you're looking at a 10+ year purchase, I think it would behoove you to strongly consider the 1k. as it will have all the things the 850sp has, and more. and 10+ years is a long time to wonder "what if". Not that the 850 would be disappointing coming from a 500. but that question will still sit in the back of your mind.

From all reports the power in the 1k is definitely more noticeable over the 850, and the 55 lbs isn't a factor at all.

As for how the 1k got that much bigger, a larger engine, plus other components made of metal add up quickly. 55 lbs more seem like they did well to me.

The EPS might not be something you think you need. but after riding a machine with it, I can assure you, it's something you want. I'm 6'5" 230 lbs, I don't need EPS. but I can guarantee you the next machine I purchase will have EPS.

#8 ·
As for how the 1k got that much bigger, a larger engine, plus other components made of metal add up quickly. 55 lbs more seem like they did well to me.
As I understand it (and I may be completely wrong) the 850 and the 1000 are the same engine with a different bore and/or stroke. Is this not true?

Also, what are the other components made of metal? I'm genuinely curious as I haven't had a chance to look at the new models yet. Thanks.

#9 ·
Really appreciate all the feedback on here guys, I was at the dealer the other day looking at the 850SP and sat on it and thought it was really nice, but the 1000 keeps creeping back up and I am going to head over to another dealer today at lunch and look at that one. The 850SP with a 3500lbs winch was 10,500 out the door with taxes etc... Looks like the 1000 would be about $1300 more just not sure it is worth it. But if I am dropping this much what is another $1300? haha

I still need to find a buyer for 03 500HO which I just dumped 1K worth of work into last fall thinking I was going to keep it for a while longer. But after a season riding sleds and this past weekend woke the 500 up for a quick ride I miss that arm strectching power of my sled and really think it is time to upgrade.

Last summer I rode the Yamaha Raptor 700R all season and that was a blast but there situations that had me wishing I was on a Sportsman. I have owned the 500 for almost 14 years now and it has only failed me once so all in all I cant complain about reliability of the Polaris Sportsman. (My fan quit and it overheated on the trail once..)

So, after much fun with the Raptor I will be selling that and putting that money towards the new Sportsman.

Headed out to look over the 1K now.. Will let you know.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I check prices every month or so for a sportsman 1000 touring. I was told by one Polaris dealer that the sportsman 1000 touring are out of production right now and it can't be ordered. That's not to say you can't order it in April/May 2017 , but right now any new order is on hold. It may be the case that there is sufficient March quantity at dealerships around the country/area, or the Polaris production line has switched to produce other model(s).

Not sure if anybody has heard of this before, or its dealer thing to get me in to buy one now for what's in stock.

#13 ·
Power steering is the best thing to happen to quads since fuel injection. Don't care how young/old you are, or how strong/weak you are, power steering is worth every penny. If you have ever owned or driven a regular vehicle without power steering, you will understand. It's the same difference with atv's. As for the 850 vs 1000, the 850 gives you more power than 99% of riders ever use. IMO, the 1000 is just for bragging rights, and is a waste, unless you actually race it. I never found anything that would bog down, or slow down my 850, and there is no need to ever ride faster than 70 mph on an atv. So what do you really get for that extra $1300??? That would buy a lot of accessories.

Reactions: 207Sportsman
#20 · (Edited)
Power steering is the best thing to happen to quads since fuel injection. Don't care how young/old you are, or how strong/weak you are, power steering is worth every penny. If you have ever owned or driven a regular vehicle without power steering, you will understand. It's the same difference with atv's.
That part, I'm 100% in agreement with.

As for the 850 vs 1000, the 850 gives you more power than 99% of riders ever use.
I assume this statement is meant as hyperbole. Needing power versus using power are two very different things. Every time a guy pegs the throttle (which I'd bet that most of us do at least occasionally) he is using all the power. I'd guess that most guys would peg the throttle on a 1000 too if given the opportunity. Needing the power would be a very subjective argument that I'm pretty sure was the subject of another post on this forum not that long ago.

I never found anything that would bog down, or slow down my 850, and there is no need to ever ride faster than 70 mph on an atv.
According to who?

I don't think these arguments hold water, unless by the same logic, you'd suggest that no one should be driving a passenger car with more than a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine. After all, 120hp is plenty of power to get you where you need to go and it'll get you there at the posted speed limit.

For me personally, I couldn't care less about top speed. I like hard smooth acceleration, and the ability to break the rear tires loose almost regardless of how fast I'm going. And bragging rights aren't bad either... if you're that kinda guy.

#21 ·
Power steering is the best thing to happen to quads since fuel injection. Don't care how young/old you are, or how strong/weak you are, power steering is worth every penny. If you have ever owned or driven a regular vehicle without power steering, you will understand. It's the same difference with atv's.
That part, I'm 100% in agreement with.

As for the 850 vs 1000, the 850 gives you more power than 99% of riders ever use.
I assume this statement is meant as hyperbole. Needing power versus using power are two very different things. Every time a guy pegs the throttle (which I'd bet that most of us do at least occasionally) he is using all the power. I'd guess that most guys would peg the throttle on a 1000 too if given the opportunity. Needing the power would be a very subjective argument that I'm pretty sure was the subject of another post on this forum not that long ago.

I never found anything that would bog down, or slow down my 850, and there is no need to ever ride faster than 70 mph on an atv.
According to who?

I don't think these arguments hold water, unless by the same logic, you'd suggest that no one should be driving a passenger car with more than a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine. After all, 120hp is plenty of power to get you where you need to go and it'll get you there at the posted speed limit.

For me personally, I couldn't care less about top speed. I like hard smooth acceleration, and the ability to break the rear tires loose almost regardless of how fast I'm going. And bragging rights aren't bad either... if you're that kinda guy.
LOL, any other posts you would care to dissect? :smile Plenty to choose from.

you'd suggest that no one should be driving a passenger car with more than a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine.

Not sure how you drew that conclusion??? Care to tell me when anyone "needs" to ride faster than 70 mph on an atv? A wee bit of a difference between driving a fast car vs riding a fast atv... :kopfkratz:

I like hard smooth acceleration, and the ability to break the rear tires loose almost regardless of how fast I'm going.

That just described the 850. Don't think either of these arguments hold water. :devil
Anyhow, I have nothing to compensate for, and stand by my thoughts that a 1000 is, for most, a "look at me" machine, no more, no less. (and there is nothing wrong with that) It is undeniably excessive.

#14 ·
"So what do you really get for that extra $1300?"

Now Bobx, you're looking at this from only one perspective. I can tell you that riding two-up in the sand, or even more so, riding in the deep snow with tracks, we appreciate every single HP that 1000 puts out! There are those who use it and while I agree the 850 is plenty for most, I'm very glad I went with the biggest for our purposes.

As for EPS, I can't imagine not having it for what we do - it would suck.

#17 ·
I never had tracks on my 850. I did spend plenty of time in deep snow, breaking the trail, and never did it lack for power to spin the tires, even in high. For the few who do put tracks on and ride two up, I guess maybe you could put the extra power to use. Definitely the minority though. :beerchug:

#15 ·
All this good talk on the eps now has me curious.. haha I am not oppossed to the functionality, just paranoid about another component to fail.

Thanks for feedback guys, I really like the idea of the 850 sp and the money towards accessories. The dealer has the blue 850 sp in crate now, I should snag it before someone else does...

#16 ·
Is the throttle by wire strange to get used to?

#18 ·
If you get a 17' 1K you won't wanna ride anything else once you get used to it. My wife's 570 which is a peppy lil bugger now seems like a total pooch and it even shames the 850 I had (see sig). Not knocking those machines, they are great too, and it's not fair to compare but The way they can deliver power thru this new fly by wire they have is amazing! If your looking at a big bore IMO go big or go home!!! 1k all the way. I still smile after riding the damn thing.

FWIW My buddy just bought a carry over 2016 black and orange outlander 1000R and it's the only other ATV I've ridden that is on the same playing field. He was glad he went 1k the first time he hit the go lever (also had test drove a 2017 triple black outlander 850) Gonna have lots of pics coming up within a month or so. Also some videos.

Good luck with your decision!

Ps Finley motors quoted him a price of $10,999 for a new black sportsman 1k but he decided on the can am

Reactions: sportsmandan
#26 ·
WHOA, Wait wait.... Not to thread steal (and no your signature does not show up on my computer) But did you go back to ATV's from SxS's???

#22 ·
It's a FUN kind of excessive tho !!!

Reactions: bobx2
#25 ·
I do not see how a guy couldn't be happy with the power of the 850. I have a 16 850sp and when compared to my riding buddies 15 1000xp, the difference if barely noticeable. With that being said, I am 100% satisfied with the power of my 570eps as well so there is likely a lot to be said about bragging rights and or just wanting the biggest and baddest. That $1300 will buy you a lot of accessories!

#27 ·
Oh and to the OP, for $1300 get the 1k (you will be sitting there kicking yourself if you don't), going from my 800 to 850 was like wow, but if I did not have a huge trade differential I would jump all over a 1k, but it is like $6k for me (maybe even more now), which I could buy a new 570 for that, just not worth it as I love the 850 and got it setup the way I want it...

#28 ·
Wow my quad has way to much horsepower.( said no man ever). You can never have too much hp if you ask me,that's why there's a throttle control,I'd bet anyone a 1000 will go farther in the heavy mud than a 570,800. Too much power pfff need your man card suspended for even thinking that.

#29 ·
lol. well this thread is steadily going south.

Lolly, yes, Fuse did come back to the ATV game. though I'm pretty sure he's still got the Ranger. Not sure what happened to his signature though.

Needs and Wants are subjective. MNT, I think you're missing the point of 70 MPH on an ATV is just simply dangerous in most situations. Just to many variables involved when you've got a mostly unprotected and unsecured meat sack sitting on top of an ATV going 70+ MPH.

There are a lot of guys on here who have never even attempted to ride any of the smaller bore ATV's, and many that haven't ridden one in a decade or more. Speaking from the low end of the power spectrum, you don't "Need" 80 HP to get to where 98% of ATV riders go. But that doesn't mean you won't enjoy having 80 HP to go where 98% of ATV riders go. And anyone who's gone from a 4 cylinder car to a V8 can attest that power is addictive. And yes I think that the big bore market is worth the cost if that's where you're looking to go. Personally, I have no intention of getting more than a 570, as I won't go 60+ MPH on an ATV, and therefore feel no need to purchase a machine capable of doing so. in the OP's case, he wants arm stretching power and that cheesy grin at the end of the day. I'd say that $1300 over 10+ years is worth it at approximately $10 a month for that smile factor.

#30 ·
I absolutely get that 70 Mph on a quad is dangerous (that's probably an understatement) and stupid, and that's why I don't do it (OK, maybe once:devil). But I also get that having power isn't all about top speed.

I don't agree with the "you shouldn't buy more than you need (and if you do you're compensating for something)" point of view because it's fundamentally flawed in that most of us don't really need a quad at all. Making the comparison to cars was just my way of highlighting how goofy I think that point of view is.

Speaking from the low end of the power spectrum, you don't "Need" 80 HP to get to where 98% of ATV riders go. But that doesn't mean you won't enjoy having 80 HP to go where 98% of ATV riders go.
Couldn't have said it better...:grin

#31 · (Edited)
Lollygagger77;1073842[/quote said:
WHOA, Wait wait.... Not to thread steal (and no your signature does not show up on my computer) But did you go back to ATV's from SxS's???
We picked up a couple ATV's recently. Still have the Ranger and will be keeping it. Now we can nemadji it up with you guys again!

Back to the topic, the power delivery from the 2017 1k compared to past models feels different, it's IMO much more responsive no doubt thanks to the new fly by wire throttle setup. In performance mode its seamless, instant power. Hang On !

I know my 850 would barely pick up the tires from a dead stop without body English, this new 1k will come right up on you

I agree with thorshammer that needs and wants are subjective. Most of us don't "need" and atv we wanted one. Some of us want arm ripping power some of us don't, different strokes for different folks!!!

#34 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys, has helped me for sure. I am going with the 850 sp. I feel with the extra money I can save on the 1K I can add the following.

Front n rear bumpers
Storage box for rear rack
Move to the 3500lb winch (mainly just for synthetic rope vs cable)
Front n rear a arm brush guards

I will admit, the new a arm design on the 1k looks great and really dissapointed the 850sp does not have it.

I am nervous on the eps but you guys have swayed me for sure and I am excited to see how it feels.

Thanks again, like this forum a lot. Will be updating when I finally get it!

#35 ·
Know anyone that wants an 03 500ho? :grin pic is av $2500

#36 ·
Be sure to post up some pics of the new ride!

#37 ·
Congrats. You're going to love it. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get it.

#38 ·
It's a bit excessive though... doncha think?:kiss

I could swear I already posted this once, but maybe I just hit preview instead of submit (or maybe it was deleted by a "Super Moderator".)

#41 ·
mntnbkr
Keep poking the bear. You know the rest of the story.

#42 ·
Sorry Bobx2. Let me know which part is making you sad and I'll delete it myself.

#43 · (Edited)
Having owned a 850xp EPS and having put over 2000 mountain miles on it and having rode the XP1000 a couple weeks back the $1300 would be a no brainier for me. Here is why:

1. The throttle by wire 3 position sensitivity fully addresses the #1 issue I had with the 850...too much power in dangerous, steep, off camber situations. One time I was climbing a very steep incline. I had to keep my momentum up and it was full of rocks, holes and roots. I hit an unseen bump which knocked me forward in my standing position and I pushed the throttle just a tad and the "burp" nearly flipped me over backwards. Had that happened I am sure I would have been hurt very seriously as a fellow local rider was a couple years back from the same type of accident. His 4 buddies all made it up before him, no one saw what happened, but for some reason it flipped over on him and drove a handlebar through his chest when all that weight came crashing down on top of him. He died in the air on the medivac. Had I been on the new 1k with the throttle set in "work" I would have had no issues or concerns riding the same spot.

2. The throttle in standard mode feels just like my 850 did from a response standpoint. This would be the mode I would use 95% of the time.

3. The throttle mode in Performance is like nothing I have ever experienced before. From a dead standstill you can pop a wheelie at will.

4. Everything I read says the fuel range is better on the 1ks.

5. The wide aarms provide much more clearance.

6. It has a few more horsepower.

7. It would garner interest from all those that saw it, boost my ego and alleviate any little man issues I might have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.