Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13380
Talking Where to buy & how much $ to pay? Help!

Hello all. Newbie from Missouri here. I have decided to upgrade from my older 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 to a new Polaris. I have been researching and went to two local dealers to look at them and talked to one salesperson which I liked. I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
My questions are: Does anyone know of the the dealer around St. Louis or Southeast Missouri to get the best price? What is a fair price on a 2011 500 HO? Should I consider a 2010 500 HO 2UP for around $6500 new? What are downfalls or benefits to the 2UP models in lew of the standard 500 HO? I found one leftover and available and discounted.
I will let you know what happens with my purchase.
Thanks for all the help and information in advance!
JUSTICE
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Hello all. Newbie from Missouri here. I have decided to upgrade from my older 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 to a new Polaris. I have been researching and went to two local dealers to look at them and talked to one salesperson which I liked. I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
My questions are: Does anyone know of the the dealer around St. Louis or Southeast Missouri to get the best price? What is a fair price on a 2011 500 HO? Should I consider a 2010 500 HO 2UP for around $6500 new? What are downfalls or benefits to the 2UP models in lew of the standard 500 HO? I found one leftover and available and discounted.
JUSTICE
I just purchased a 2011 500 HO and got helmet and ramps for truck and 3 yr warranty $7200 out the door tax fees etc.

Nashville area-- hope this helps you
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
As far as price, net dealer profit on most machines range about $700-$1000 dollars, before any fright and set up fees. If i were buying, my first negoitation step would be to get the rebate off of MSRP offered by polaris, and zero freight and set up fees. (Tax and license is what it is, those are state fees. Just make sure you know what they should be, so the dealer doesnt add a paper prep fee.)

Anything on top of the rebate that you can get the dealer to mark off is just gravey to you. Each dealer is different, but $200-$500 off, plus the rebate, plus no extra fees can be found, and is a pretty good deal.

Accessories I am going to ask for cost, or 10-15% over their cost. (Average dealer markup on accessories is 20-30%) So basically I am going to be looking for 10-30% of retail.

And if I am having them install accessories, I am going to ask for half off on labor time. Usually, a commission mechanic makes half of the shops hour rate, so that allows the shop to pay the mechanic for the work (which he should get paid) but the shop doesnt really make any money off of the labor.

I would absolutely consider the 2-up 2010 model. A lot of places, and its becoming more and more, is against the law to ride 2-up on a machine not designed for that. You will also find that riding two up will cause you to have to crank the rear shocks to their heighest settings, causing the machine to be more bouncy and rough. It will also be a tight fit, and will be less stabil.

The touring model really excess at carring the passenger. The rear suspension is rolled and mounted behind the weight of the passenger seat, so you still retain the softness in the suspension you want to have. (2-up on a non-2-up machine puts the rear passenger right over the suspension mounts, causing the springs and shocks to compress really easily, making it a rough ride.) The machine is more stable, the passenger has much more comfortable ride. The only down fall is the extend lenght of the machine, about 10" and that only slightly extends the turning radius. On trails and weekend riding, you wont notice the length. Also, i believe the touring, and I know the X2 come with turf mode, allowing you to unlock the rear differental, allowing you to turn tighter much like a 1-up machine would.

My experience is I use to sell polaris ATV's.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:58 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13380
Wow. Thanks Blueline. Great info. on everything. What about reselling the 2UP in the future? Is it harder to sell? I am just trying to think ahead. Talk to you soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Member #13290
I bought a 2011 850 xp at shoals outdoos sports in Alabama. Otd price 7199..delivered to my drive way from Tuscumbia, AL to Houston, TX.....7630. I think they have the 550 for 6199....... These are on the non eps models...but I personally dont like powersteering gives me one less thing to worry about that might break. Anyways give them a call and ask for frank. Their number is 256-389-8150...their web site is Alabama, KTM, Lowe, Mercury, Polaris, Triton, Victory, ATV, boat, motorcycle, fishing, UTV, Shoals Outdoor Sports, ATV, Suncruiser, pontoon, hunting
Old 03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2147
Rogercar07

That is a great deal. Did you title it in Texas? $4,995 for a 500 HO is also a smoking deal.
2001 SP 500-TOTALED
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Member #13290
I just orderrd it friday, should receive paperwork today or tomorrow and my understandung is, I have to get a title application that's it, no registration so I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it. I don't know how true that is though.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13380
I have been searching local newspapers and have found a couple dealers in southen ILL that are advertising 500 HO's for $4,995. I am sure this includes rebates etc. but that leaves me more room for accessories!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2147
Please keep us posted when you receive the machine from AL.

General Sam's in Huntsville is a great place to ride. I live north of the woodlands.
2001 SP 500-TOTALED
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #208
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
JUSTICE

For your needs...I would highly recommend the 2010 500 Touring. Sounds like a really good price...and believe me...your wife will thank you after the first ride.

Things to consider with Touring model:
1. Length! Yeah...these machines are long...and make sure your truck or trailer can haul it. YES...size does matter here!

2. Weight! They do add to the Polaris heavy side.

3. Rear seat. Not sure on the 2010 500 Touring model if the rear seat is removable??? If so...not that big an issue when hunting season comes...so you can use the rear rack. If not...something to consider.

Enjoy...either way you go! And make sure to post pics!

biz
2011 Sportsman 550 Touring EPS -- Wifie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sold 2009 Sportsman XP 850 Sold
Purchase date: May 2009
Sold date: December 2010
======== ===========
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Tags
2up, 500 ho

Search tags for this page
can you buy a fourwheeler and pay it off monthly
fees when buying a utv

how much are atvs marked up

how much are payments for an atv

how much does polaris dealers pay for

how much should i get off a atv purchase

how much should i pay for a used atv

what does a dealer pay for a new polaris 4 wheelers

what fees do you pay on atv purchase in texas

what should i pay for a new atv

what should i pay for a polaris atv

what's the average markup on a used four wheeler from a dealer

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.