Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
cc1999,

you have the right idea. the dealership i come from is very small, only 6 total employees. our owner was also our parts manager, sales manager, and service manager. i worked the front counter and did parts and sales, as well as did my co-worker. every time polaris releases a new sales event to the public, they also release a new kickback program for dealers. there were times that i would sell a ranger or atv below dealer cost because we were only one machine sale away from making a $2,000 kickback or something.

there is a tier, the more machines you sell, the higher the kickback amount to the dealer. polaris also holds contest for personal sales. just last year, polaris gave away like 24 different 2009 Ranger 700 XPs, one to each top salesperson in each section of the U.S.

we were always aware of the larger dealers out there, and knew that some around us were selling below cost, something we didnt have the volume to do. our way of dealing with that was to cut everything down to a $300 profit on a machine sale, but give them the mom and pop shop treatment, everything transparent for the customer to see. the customer could go in the back of the shop and talk to and watch our tech as he did the final prep on the machine. our tech would give the new owner pointers and how-to's and the customer could ask questions.

if you have the ability to move a high volume of machines then you can make more money on the kickbacks then the actual sales, and figure a lot of guys will come back for service which is were dealers make big money in their labor rates. the more machines you can get out there, the more potential income of new customers you have.

i hope that makes some sense
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #927
Thanks Blueline15.

Thats pretty much what I figured, had to be something like that. The Volume dealer I use, does move the iron. Pretty much every time I have been there, they will deliver at least 3 machines, while I am waiting my turn to get mine, all the paperwork is done right at the parts counter almost like your buying a part. LOL They sell 4 brands, and have a very large back lot with hundreds of machines stack 3-4 high still in there crate.

I do try to always give the locals a chance to get close, meaing within a couple hundred bucks, last year I think the local shop was not playing ball with me since the 850 was such a new hot item, or they thought I was full BS on what I could buy one for. Where as the volume dealer does not gennerally ever play that way, everything has a volume (invoice or close to it)price.

Does the mfgs like Polaris, give the high volume stores preferential treatment as well, when it comes to allocating new hot products? Meaning like the RZR S was a super hot item last year, probably still is to some degree. Do the big volume stores get as many as they want, where the smaller stores get allocated 1-2 for the year?

Also I was wondering why does Polaris not spell out the details of there rebates. They always say get up to 800 or up to 1000 on select models. Why don't the just say what models get what? I ask this becasue I have found some dealers being a little less than honest with me when it come to the rebates. I sure wish Polaris would put the details on there website. Auto mfgs always put there rebate details on there website, so you can look up the model you are interested in and see for yourself what the rebate is on that model.

By the way, I think its great to have a member on here that can give us the real skinny on the rebates like yourself Blueline15. Thank you
2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 (Stealth Black)

Past Polaris Quads:
2010 Sportsman black 850 eps, 2008 black LE X2 800
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2005 Polaris Sporstman 800, 2002 Trail Boss 325, 2001 Sportsman 500, 2000 Sportsman 500, 1999 Scrambler,

Last edited by cc1999; 01-16-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
cc1999,

first, your welcome!

yes, high volume stores do get better selection of inventory. the RZR-S is a perfect example of this. when the RZR came out first in 2008, polaris looked at your Ranger sales to see how popular sidexside machines were. the 2008 RZR was so hot we had a wait list of 8-12 people at any time with money down on the next available one to come in. i think polaris severly underestimated the popularity of the RZR in 2008, because nobody could get enough of these things. when 2009 came around and the RZR-S was introduced, dealers were limitied to the amount of RZR-S machines they could buy based off of their 2008 RZR sales. it seemed to work out ot be like every 4-6 regular RZR you sold in '08, you could get 1 RZR-S for 09. obviously, polaris wanted the majority of RZR-S produced to go to high volume dealers, more money for polaris the faster machines are sold.

on a side note, dealers have the ability to search any other dealers inventory for a exact year, make, model and color of any new machine produced by polaris. you can search by state and it will tell you where the dealers in X state have that machine in inventory. dealers can do "dealer trades" where one dealer releases the machine and the contract to pay polaris for it to another dealer. the problem was it that dealers refused to do any kind of dealer trades on the RZR or RZR-S because they knew eventually they would be able to sell it.

it worked like that for the XP's too. when they came out, the more 500 sportsman you sold last year, the more 550XP's you could get. the mroe 800 sportsman you sold, the more 850XP's you could get.

every dealer has a link on the dealer site to show a list of available models from polaris that they can order. so polaris would add the RZR-S and XP models to our list when it was our turn to get one or two, and we could either accept or reject getting them. but at any given time there is always a list of machines polaris is sitting one ready to ship to a dealer that wants it. but typically a dealer will put their largest ATV order in feburary or march for deliverly in april and june, and snowmobile orders get put in june or july for early october deliverly. the size of dealership i worked for (now just do summers between classes) keeps about 60-100 new units at a time.

as far as rebates go, i dont know why polaris doesnt list exact rebates for each machine. unfortunatly, i too have seen from other quotes from other dealers that they were giving a customer is full rebate, they would try to keep a couple hundred dollars for it, because if they didnt give the customer his rebate or his full rebate, that sstraight free money from polaris for them. which gave me my favorite situation was when i could show a customer comparing dealers the rebate sheet i had to show them that dealers was trying to keep some of their rebate.

the simple way around that is you can PM me anytime and i can look up the rebates for the models. : )
Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #927
Thanks again for all the inside info. I always like to have a good understanding of how the system works, for a couple reasons, I don't want to be unreasonable in my expectations of what I may be asking for, and 2nd I don't want to get cheated either.

I will likely be taking you up on that at some point. My next Polaris will be just as soon as they anounce an 850 EPS X2. Thats what I really was wanting when I bought my 2010 850, but no such X2 model has been released yet. I think it will likley happen this summer as well when the 2011s are anounced.
2008 Polaris Sportsman 90 (Stealth Black)

Past Polaris Quads:
2010 Sportsman black 850 eps, 2008 black LE X2 800
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2005 Polaris Sporstman 800, 2002 Trail Boss 325, 2001 Sportsman 500, 2000 Sportsman 500, 1999 Scrambler,
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
i think your right, why they didnt do it this year i dunno, but i think it is very reasonable to expect the EPS to come on the XP for 2011....

shoot me a PM, ill tell you what rebates are at and how long they are good for. they typically change every 1-3 months but polaris give no indications if they are going to get better or worse. they dont send the new rebate program until the morning it starts.

one thing we did for our customers was if it was near the end of a rebate period we would registar the machine with only polaris, not the local DOL office to a customer before the new program came out, and if the rebates got better, we would unregistar it, and wait a day or two to re-registar the same machine but lock in the better rebate for the customer.....gotta keep your customers happy!

i would be more then happy to help you get a fair price on a new polaris. best situation, you get a good deal, the dealers makes a few hundred dollar profit to keep the doors open....and everyone is happy. there are a few things that you should not have to pay for and the dealer has room to "throw it in" and a few things they cant budge much on without actually losing money. we will cross that bridge when your ready, just come find me!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Search tags for this page
2013 polaris atv rebates
2013 polaris rebates
2013 polaris x2 current rebate
atv rebates
polaris atv rebate

polaris atv rebates

polaris current rebates
polaris razor rebates

polaris rebates

polaris sportsman rebates
polaris touring atv craigslist
rebates on polaris atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.