Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Member #10273
95 Sportsman Voltage Regulator????

I have an old 95 sportsman and it has given me nothing but problems since the day I bought it. The last owner was a real piece of work. Especially when he failed to tell me that he took the oil injection off the bike and was using the oil resevoir as the coolant tank, so after checking the oil and filling the tank, I filled the entire cooling system with 2-stroke oil and cooked the rings. Anyways, the electrical is a real mess too. The battery won't charge, and after blowing 2 sets of headlights I desided to check the voltage regulator.....only if there was one on the machine!! I may be wrong but I believe it is located between the front grill and rad. My question is: When I buy a Volt Reg, where the h*** do I plug in the wires? If someone could show me a pic or a readable diagram you would save me soo much time/money. I do all my own repairs so I would rather burn the thing rather than bring it to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:27 AM

Member #10273
I have looked at that schematic many times but it doesn't show where to plug the wires in. Like I said, there isn't one on the bike now so I have nothing to go off of. If someone could get me a picture of their's then I would be able to figure it out I think. Thanks anyways.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #8052
um the diagram shows exactly where the voltage regulator mounts to the frame. the wires are all color coded. what else more do you need to know?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Member #10273
I think I just figured it out. While looking at the wiring diagram in my service book I couldn't make any sense of it. Then I looked one page back to the 94 Big Boss, and it is almost exactly the same....moved a few wires around and seems to be working now, no spike in volts when reved up, it was spiking to over 20V before. It has the 3 wire regulator instead of the 5 wire. Who knows, maybe the bike is more of a Frankenstein than I originally thought. cookies, what I was looking for was where the voltage regulator plugged into, as there isn't one there now, and I couldn't see any loose wires. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Look on the frame near the gear shifter it should have a decal with a model number begining with a W_ _ _ _ _ _ followed by numbers. The 2 numbers after the w is the year model.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1995 polaris sportsman 400 wiring diagram

1995 polaris sportsman voltage regulator

95 polaris sportsman 400 voltage regulator

atv polaris rectifier regulator schematic
pictures of regulator on 425 polaris atv
polaris sportsman 500 rectifier wiring diagram
polaris sportsman voltage

polaris voltage regulator diagram

polaris voltage regulator schematic

polaris voltage regulator wire colors

polaris voltage regulator wiring diagram

where is regulator on polaris sportsman 95
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.