Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3694
fuel filter

I want to change my fuel filter. Im sure it hasn't been done since the quad was new in '06 but polaris wants around $25 for theirs and that seems OUTRAGOUSLY high for a fuel filter when i can get a universal fuel filter that i have used for other quads for just a few bucks. is it a must to use the polaris filter or am i fine with the universal filter? any other cheaper recomendations?
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick11 View Post
I want to change my fuel filter. Im sure it hasn't been done since the quad was new in '06 but polaris wants around $25 for theirs and that seems OUTRAGOUSLY high for a fuel filter when i can get a universal fuel filter that i have used for other quads for just a few bucks. is it a must to use the polaris filter or am i fine with the universal filter? any other cheaper recomendations?
A good fuel filter for a car is about $15 and a cheaper one is about $8. On fuel injected vechiles it is very important that you have the right micron rating media in the filter. Otherwise you stand a chance of getting trash in the injectors and clogging them. That repair bill could get expensive. I would pay a few more dollars and use an o.e.m. filter unless you can get the micron rating and match that filter excatly and trust the person giving you this information. Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
Not positive on this but I think the filter has special pressure fittings and requires a special tool to take off. Could be wrong. If you can get it off take it to an auto parts store like Napa and have them try to match it. It amazes me what they have been able to match. Polaris out sources most of there parts and so they are used in other vehicle applications and therefor available usually for half the price.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
yeah as said already stick with the OEM part. On an efi model it is important that the filter also be able to handle the pressure of the EFI system as well. $25 seems reasonable considering you will probably only go through 2 of them in the life of the ATV. It's not like a car where you are running 1000's of gallons through it.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
I have worked in auto parts for over 20yrs. It is more a liabiltiy issue. If the filter is not designed for the machine and causes engine damage the filter manufacturer is not responsible. Visit wixfilters.com to learn more.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3694
So if its only 4 years old do I need to replace it. Ill just let it go a few more years if I can
Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
its not really a matter of years, but how many miles and how it was stored over time. Also if you ever used a gas can with some type of dirt in the bottom them maybe. But usually a properly maintained atv will probably not need a new filter after only 4 years. But Only you can answer that question.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2004 polaris fuel filter location

2004 polaris ranger fuel filter

2004 polaris sportsman 500 fuel filter

2004 polaris sportsman 500 fuel filter location
ask.com how do you change the fuel filter on a polaris sportmans 5oo ho 2004

fuel filter

how do i change a fuel filter on a polaris sportsman 90
how to change fuel filter polaris sportsman 500
how to replace fuel filter on a youth atv
polaris ranger fuel filter change
polaris sportsman fuel filter
where's the fuel filter on a 2009 polaris 500 sportsman
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.