Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 06:05 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3195
2000 Xplorer400 winch w/plow questions

Alright. I have this Xplorer400 I got running that came with a winch and plow. 1st snow I got it to work fairly good but there's one problem I think I may have. It's either the output of the stator too low or a battery problem. What's going on is when I am out plowing normally it is dark out so I have the lights on. Well as time goes on it seems that I am running out of battery probably because of the amperage being pulled from the winch plus I have a power turn unit too. I've metered the system and it shows 13-14 volts so I know it's charging. I'm thinking the battery itself is too small and not holding enough in reserve when I am using the plow hard.

My question is I would like I know what could be done to upgrade the electrical system to handle this winch????
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:10 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3195
I can't believe NO ONE has had a simular issue.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
i don't think you really have anything wrong. when i used to plow alot at night ,my winch would either quit working or the battery light would start flashing. i have a '03 500 and after doing a little investigating ,polaris didn't upgrade the output of there stators ,until '04. Even if you could get a higher output stator, it wouldn't do any good, because the wiring size is so small i don't think it could handle more than 5 amps output. you can take your battery to the parts store for a load test,if you think it's getting weak or strap a car battery on the rack and hook it to your battery, then trickle charge them back up when finished plowing
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3195
Ok. That was what I was thinking. I've been putting the bike on trickle charger each time I've been done plowing.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17779
Same problem

I have a 2012 500 that has the same problem. If i plow with the lights on the batt light comes on. I usually just put it in Neutral and bring rpms up for a minute. But I am wondering if there is a higher output stator I can get.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

atv battery upgrades for winching plowing

atv w/plow

atv w/plow reviews

atv winch plow battery

battery for atv plow winch

polaris atv battery that can handle winch

polaris winch plow problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.