Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Member #3503
Sportsman 700 coolant in oil

I have a 2003 Sportsman 700... As the subject says I have coolant in my oil. I went to change my oil this afternoon and when I went to drain it found green stuff which ended up being coolant. I have been doing some research and found it could be two things... Head gasket or water pump seal... Anyone have any experience with this? Wondering if I shouldn't just do both and be done with it... Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8796
before you replace any parts there is a small weep hole under your water pump (if you cant find it let me know) and if there is coolant leaking out of it or it appears wet then your know for sure its your coolant seal. if it never appears to leak or be wet then you know its your headgasket. i have the same problem with my 2002 polaris sportsman 700 but its opposite the oil is in my coolant.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Member #3503
Ok thanks for the info I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it seems wet.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Member #3503
Ok thanks for the info I'll look at it tomorrow and see if it seems wet.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Member #12293
and what happened... did you replace the head gasket ? I've got the same problem with a 600 engine... antifreeze in oil. If I let it sit for a while and remove the drain plug, antifreeze comes out... no overheating, no smoke... about a tablespoon each time.. happens to me twice, every time I want to take a ride with my machine I got to check the crankcase first.. I run that engine with 15w40 diesel oil, I wouldn't dare to run that engine with something else than 15w40, oil and antifreeze that mixes together doesn't lube to good.. if someone knows what cause that problem please be free to comment.. thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM

Member #3503
Well I replaced the water pump seal and the oil seal and though that fixed it but today actually I went to ride and noticed that my coolant was down... Checked the oil and it was milky again... So I ordered a head gasket today and am going to do that this weekend I guess...
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Member #12293
There is no way that antifreeze could go through the water pump seal and the oil seal !!! if the hole between the 2 seals is block... maybe.. who ever said that your problem was the seal was pulling your leg ! if you got milky oil I advise you to be really careful ... if no knock in engine your o.k. you'll have to do an oil change with oil filter and run it carefully, milky oil is sludge.. ounce you run your engine with new clean oil you could end up worn bearings and ... engine knock meaning junk ! in your case I would do an oil change first to find out if their is no knock, remove thermostat and no rad cap, look in the rad while running for bubbles (head gasket). tighten cap afterward and take your bike for a short ride and listen for knock because oil takes a little time to adjust to the rest of the milky stuff in the crankcase. You should have check for antifreeze at the drain plug like I did sooner. I know what your going through, I'm in the same boat and my problem is not resolve yet !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2002 polaris 700 anti-freeze in oil
2002 polaris 700 sports man antifreeze in oil
2002 polaris sportsman 700 antifreeze in oil
2002 polaris sportsman 700 water in oil after change water pump seal
2003 polaris sportsman 700 water in oil
700 polaris has water in oil
700 polaris sportsman losing water to crank case
700 sportsman water in oil

polaris 700 water in oil

polaris sportsman 700 coolant in oil

polaris sportsman oil in coolant
sportsman 700 water in oil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.