Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM

Member #11142
slow tire leak around rim

I have a 25x11-10 Goodyear Tracker with a slow leak on the rear of my '96 sportsman. I soaped it up and it's coming from around the outer bead/rim connection (about 1/4 of it). Has anyone dealt with this before? Any help is greatly appreciated..... thanks.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6567
I have had a couple leaks around the rim over the years. Everytime it has been some sand or a small stick that has broke the bead. I take it to a local tire shop and they pull the tire off, clean it up good and put some type of black sealant around the bead before putting tire back on. Never have any issues again going this route.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7995
Yeah same as answer as that guy
deluxe bumper
G1 plow
Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5482
I got a stick jabbed between the wheel and tire after the last ride, and it went flat. I pulled it out best I could, but it would still go flat every couple of days. I sprayed it with some soapy water, and it was on the bead like yours. I was just going to do what everyone above did and take it to a local shop. I needed to slime my tires anyway, and figured what the hell. Put the amount it said in all tires, and there was still a little left over, so I put that in the tire leaking. It's held air fine now for 3 weeks so far, so the slime seemed to fix it.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
3 Headlight Mod / 14" ITP SS312 / 26" Maxxis Zilla's / Under Body LED Accent Lights
2010 Decals
Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
If nothing between the rim and tire it's possible the rim is bent. Hit the rim where it's leaking with a hammer while the tire is fully inflated that might stop the leak. You might want to use a board or something to protect the rim while doing this. I did this on a utility trailer tire and it worked.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7995
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
I got a stick jabbed between the wheel and tire after the last ride, and it went flat. I pulled it out best I could, but it would still go flat every couple of days. I sprayed it with some soapy water, and it was on the bead like yours. I was just going to do what everyone above did and take it to a local shop. I needed to slime my tires anyway, and figured what the hell. Put the amount it said in all tires, and there was still a little left over, so I put that in the tire leaking. It's held air fine now for 3 weeks so far, so the slime seemed to fix it.
Hi Nick...I have never used the slime before but I have used other products that are close to the same thing. They do work to seal but when it is time to change your tire it makes a hell of a mess..Any time I have done it it take a lot of scrubbing with a wire brush..Mabey slime is better I dont know havent seen this product in Canada...Hope it works out ok..just wanted to give you the heads up!!!!
deluxe bumper
G1 plow
Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Member #11142
Well, for better or for worse later, I tried the slime and it seems to have stopped the leak. The rim is in good shape... still not sure why I had this issue at all. Rode about 5 miles this evening and all seems to be good. Will update thread if anything changes.... Thanks for the help to all!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5482
Quote:

Hi Nick...I have never used the slime before but I have used other products that are close to the same thing. They do work to seal but when it is time to change your tire it makes a hell of a mess..Any time I have done it it take a lot of scrubbing with a wire brush..Mabey slime is better I dont know havent seen this product in Canada...Hope it works out ok..just wanted to give you the heads up!!!!

Sounds like that's for the tire shop to worry about, not me.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
3 Headlight Mod / 14" ITP SS312 / 26" Maxxis Zilla's / Under Body LED Accent Lights
2010 Decals
Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I completely agree with pieguy03. Our tires do alot for us and maintenance of them is a very good thing. Now ATV's may be a newer thing to me but 20+ years driving jeeps over the same terrain isn't and its a same, same kinda thing. In the jeep because of the increased speed and miles. You can actually ruin a alum rim in short order if the sand is alowd to "grind" into the bead.

I pop one bead at a time, completely clean and re-seat yearly at least!! It's a good winter thing to do and isn't hard. I pop beads with a high lift and a bumper and a couple tire spoons in the summer.

You will need a compressor to re-seat the bead. I use a CO2 bottle that I carry in my jeeps. (Just like the soda fountains use)

To me SLIME is a last ditch operation. One thing when using it, GO FOR A RIDE AFTERWARDS!!! If you don't distribute the slime around the inside of the rim it cannot work for you. I don't like it simply because it makes a mess inside the rim and the tire changers HATE the junk on their tire machines!!!

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
atv tire leaking air around rim
atv tire leaking around bead

atv tire leaking around rim

atv tire leaks around rim
atv tire slow leak
atv tires leaking around rim
how to fix leaking bead on atv tire
how to stop a tire from leaking around the rim
how to stop a tire leaking around the rim
leaky atv tires
tire has slow leak around rim
tire leaking around rim
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.