Engine stall if I press the throttle after diesel mix - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Engine stall if I press the throttle after diesel mix

My son add about 25 % diesel in the tank by mistake to make a small ride with my Polaris Sportsman 500 ho . He enjoyed for the first 15 minute the ride but after engine stall when he press the throttle .Start the engine , idle perfect but impossible to go forward . So je call me and I asked to stop at and take the trailer to back home

I remove the reserve gas line from the thank empty it clean it , wash it with gas ,dry it and plug the gas line .i also unscrew in the bottom of the carb the screw for draining bad gas , full up the tank with super unleaded gas .After this opération I reopen the carb screw to drain 500 ml of maybe bad gas in hoses , in case of. I close the screw .

I check spark plug .Veryy good fire

I start engine and RPM move from 1600 to 2300 for 5 minutes after running steady at 2100 . I reduce to 1300 and leave the atv running for 25 minutes on the idle . I tried to give some gas to increase engine revolution but almost stall.
I shut up engine and put back atv in the garage

I try again the next day . Engine run well at 1300 rpm but stall when I give gas . I try to leave engine stop for 10 minutes and when I start engine I press immediately on the throttle to see if it work because I thought if gas filter is partially blocked 10 minutes is enough to fill the carb thank ....but was not the case , so filter probably ok.

I also check in the throttle box if wire connect when I press the throttle but it is not the case. For share this problem occurred after diesel have been add to the tank

Thank you for help tips

Gas filter? Probably not
Fuel pump ???
Carb ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I vote for the carb since it can sustain 2300 rpms but no higher the slide is probably not working correctly anymore (the slide picks up about mid-range to WOT). Overall, I'd say you need to take carb off and give it a thorough cleaning and perhaps a new seal gasket. Luck and enjoy.

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4725 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1362 miles 182hrs
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer
I would like to eliminate easiest and less costly problem to have a better diagnostic.

I read minor problem like mouse nest in the muffler, air admission tube for the gas tank blocked and throttle ETC pin stick, all these is not parts costly but time consuming to find it.

Now I will check the carb, I was not sure this weak ratio of diesel could affect carb, but I saw my son put the selector on " reserve" before the ride and a lot of dirt was at the bottom of the thank ( the reserve take gasoline at the bottom ) but also there , gas have to go trough a micro filter and the gas filter before go to the carb .......

What is WOT you mention ?

So I will check the carb and post in few days for the benefit of Polaris driver....

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:40 AM
ATV Enthusiast

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

2015 Sportsman 570
Polaris 2500 # winch
Polaris Heated Grips and Thumb
Front and Rear Rack Extenders
Winch accessory kit
Polaris xenon bulbs all 3
Superbrite LED tail light bulbs
Tusk Handlebar Mitts
Polaris Glacier Pro 60" Plow, snow flap, and side markers

2008 Outlaw 90

2015 Ranger ETX
Super ATV full Windsheild
Lock and Ride Roof
Polaris Xenon Headlight Bulbs
Dragon Fire Racing Dome Light
Coming soon 3500# winch, rear window, LED bar
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

idk this might sound stupid but I had an issue like this on my pressure washer. I mixed seafoam in the tank and it started idling better and not to long after I could give it gas with out a stall.

I would mix either Seafoam or BerryMans B12. Seafoam is a bit better. Berrymans is stronger and cleans faster but not the best for certain hoses.

Try a can or 2 of seafoam as directed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I agree with previous post. You are going to need to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Also, if there was that much junk in the tank, I would put on a new fuel filter while you are at it. It's job is to stop that crap before it gets to the carb so it will be the first place affected by sediment from the tank getting into the fuel system.

1st Machine
2001 Magnum 325 with a blown engine; rebuilt 2004. Broke timeing chain 2016 rebuilt again and still running. Warn winch and Moose 60" plow

Wife's machine:
2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. 12x7 front, 12x8 rear, QSC Clutch Kit
My Trail Machine:
2004 Sportsman 600 Twin, 25" RipSaw Tires on stock steel wheels, Moose rear box
Completed Project machine:
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE with a blown engine. Transplanted a 2005 Magnum 330 engine. Committed suicide on the trail Oct 2016. Spun Rod Bearing after oild cooler line failure. Rebuilding Engine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer, persona experience and solutions

Now fellow the gas line :

from the thank ( already cleaned now)
To the gas vacuum pump ( remove , open and clean ....a lot of sediment, dust in the diaphragm )
To the gas filter ( looked great but I changed it for a new ) .... and in case off put a new spark plug

Try the engine but same problem ( idle ok but stalled when I give gas except if I opened choke , but not running well and stall when I press to fast on throttle )

Now the last step will be to remove the carb , only need a good size hex bolt ; the Allen key 7/32 is a little bit slack and the 1/4 too big ......maybe is metric size , I will go to the auto part

Solution is probably the needle jet and jet needle to look carefully and see any obstruction or used part . With carb removed it is a good time to wash it too
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:16 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Never mind......you already changed the plug. I missed that part.

Last edited by sportsmatt; 02-15-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 PM
ATV Enthusiast

After reading this thread again I must admit, the problem was not directly caused by a bit of diesel fuel. Another issue must have already been in the works.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

End of the story . I find the problem and solution in the carb , the needle jet was broken in 2 part and showed high level of wear. But they broken in the middle not on the very wear part .i add a picture to show you

Sportsmatt you was wright , nothing to do with diesel .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	70961  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode