Turf Mode not working, Diagnostics - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Turf Mode not working, Diagnostics

Hey Guys, I have an 2008 700 X2 that will not engage turf mode. This is the second time I have visited this issue and had previously tested the two appropriate ECU pins for ground, 13 & 26 I believe, checked all wiring for shorts and proper continuity, all wiring came up good.

For this endeavor I removed the solenoid from the rear differential so I could visually confirm if it was working, it was not, I kept it removed during the remainder of testing. I then directly and momentarily connected the solenoid to 12v, I found the solenoid works when powered directly. Then I removed the large relay/differential controller from the chassis side of the harness to expose the contacts and eliminate the large relay/differential controller from this test. I found a Red wire (power) Blue wire (power to solenoid) Brown wire (Ground) and Green and white wire (Ground controlled by ECU).

With the test light hooked to the positive battery post, and touching green and white wire at the large relay/differential controller connection, I could see that the turf switch and ECU grounding are working, test light off when turf switch is off (no ground to complete circuit), test light on when turf switch is on (Completed circuit). I believe this to confirm the proper function of the turf switch, small diff lock switch relay, and ECU grounding.

Then taking a jumper wire directly from positive battery post, I touched for less than one second the blue wire at the large relay/differential controller connection, the solenoid activated on demand every time. I attempted to use the test light to jump power from the battery to the Blue wire, but found it would not activate the solenoid. This is because there is not enough amps flowing through the test light for solenoid activation.

I believe everything going in and out of the large relay/differential controller connection is functioning properly, which leads me to suspect the faulty part is the relay/differential controller itself. Please comment with suggestions or let me know if I missed something. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

I spoke with a dealer and it seems that Polaris has changed the part number and price of the rear diff controller relay. The previous number was 4011619 $66.79, the new number is 4016835 $119.99. The new part description also states with connection. At almost double the price and no picture of the new part, I am curious what advantage the new part has to offer over the original. If anyone has any info on the new part, or a cross reference number for a replacement relay, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

2008 Sportsman 700 X2
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Would anyone happen to know if pin 13 on the ECU, part number 4011599, on the 2008 or 2009 X2 sends Pulse width modulation to the rear differential relay? I have tested mine and have constant grounding from the ECU. Any input is appreciated.

2008 Sportsman 700 X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

I do not believe the ECU sends PWM because the rear diff controller has a voltage regulator built into its circuit. So I finally got the new part that was on back order since march. It is the new part Polaris put out 4016835, it appears to be the exact same as the previous part with the exception that it is gray with no markings. I installed the part and now turf mode is on if the key is in the on position. It is however working properly reducing voltage to 5-6 volts. So before I could not get turf mode to activate, and now I cannot get it to deactivate...... Jeez.

2008 Sportsman 700 X2

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode