Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Member #12348
07 500 efi moving at idle

Have an 07 Sportsman 500efi that is moving in gear at idle. Yes I know that this us usually due to a high idle, but the idel is good. Dealer wants to install some shims in the Clutch but I thought that only fixed the clunk when you shifted into reverse or high/low. Could dust/dirt in the PVT cause the belt to grab making the belt grab? What do you guys/girls think?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10881
this would be a clutch alignment problem & yes shims will fix it sometimes.possible you could have a broken trans or motor mount to.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Member #12348
Thanks for the Welcome..

I have a feeling that the mis-allignment is the isssue. Its my Dad's 4 wheeler and I was just kind of checking into possible causes before he took it in. He had a big big wreck with it 6 months ago and when it was all back together is when the problem started. Im sure something got knocked a little out of wack and is now off. Weird thing is that it dosent do it all the time.. maybe 7 out of 10..

Thanks for the info though.. Much appreciated.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Member #12291
I had same problem with 2001 550 sportsman, alignment good, belt good, dealer replaced what he called grooved primary clutch...$400! Problem came back within 100 miles of riding!

Son and I decided to look into it ourselves, tested with clutch cover off, close observation looking and listening, we determined that the engine braking portion of the primary clutch was not releasing as it should, putting a load on the gear box, making it very difficult to shift, and causing the bike to creep at idle rpms.

Cheap fix...We simply changed from the engine braking system model drive belt (which is slightly smaller in diameter than standard) to a standard sized belt (for machines without engine braking clutch installed). The standard sized belt rides just a tad higher in the primary clutch, and does not engage the engine braking portion of same, and does not ride in the "groove" the dealer described.

The creeping and shifting difficulty was gone! Have ridden in this configuration for several hundred miles since with no difficulties. And....there still is noticable engine braking available, though not as much as before.

Go figure. May not be your issue, but worth considering.

Allred
Riverton, Utah
Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5629
Make sure you check the engine mounts also.

2007 Sportsman 800 efi , L&R tall windshield, Viper Max 4000 lb. winch with 3/16" Amsteel rope by Atv Winch Rope, 25' Amsteel tow rope by Atv Winch Rope, RDC fairlead, RDC deluxe gas cap, RDC shifter, RDC overflow bottle cap, RDC 2" lift , 27" Maxxis bighorns s/w on Vision Outback 12" wheels, Uni air filter, Dalton o/bl primary clutch spring, front and rear brushguard, front and rear rack extensions, and a SanAngelo backrest

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

07 polaris sportsman 500 idle

polaris 500 sportsman moving at idle

polaris atv belt grabbing

polaris atv efi motor mounts

polaris atv moves while idling

polaris moves while idling

polaris sportsman 07 500 motor mount

polaris sportsman 500 creeps

polaris sportsman move at a idle

polaris sportsman moves at idle

sportsman 500 2007 is crepeing after new belt
sportsman 500 efi creeping at idle
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.