Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7172
Starter Solenoid Help

A couple of weeks ago my 03 Sportsman 500HO would not start a week after I had taken it on a trip to the ranch where it worked fine. It would only click and nothing else. The battery is new and has been checked so I ordered a new starter, solenoid and bendix from DB Electrical. While waiting on the parts I pulled the solenoid figuring to replace the easiest part first and go from there. Well I got the parts today and the solenoid they sent does not match the one I have that came off the bike. Mine has the two big connectors for the battery and starter connections and a red wire with a male connector and a black wire that was connected to one of the bolts holding the solenoid to the battery box. The one they sent me is in the link below. Anyone know how to make the new one work?

DB Electrical - NEW Starter Solenoid Relay for POLARIS ATV SSE6002

I am wondering if I need the black ground connector and if I could just cut the red wire off my old one and use it on the new one like in the picture. Also can I check the old one with a OHM meter with it off the bike to see if it is bad? Thanks for any help as I was looking to get this thing back running this weekend.
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #10643
Ground the black wire just to be on the safe side. If it is marked, be sure to put the battery on the correct side of solenoid. You should be able to take remaining wire from machine and hook it to wire on solenoid. i would suggest crimping mating connector on machine as to not alter solenoid in any way, in case you have to send back. If it works (it should) then make it a permanent installation. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:07 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7172
The small black wire is on the original solenoid and is connected inside as is the red wire. The new one has no black wire and no way I can see to hook one up. I was thinking maybe I could cut the small red wire off the old one and put a spade connector on it and attach it to the new one then hook the two big wires (battery and starter) up and it should work if it does not need the small black ground wire on the new one. I never though it would be this big of a PIA to replace the starter solenoid.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
I think the black wire is just a extra ground wire. Make sure the new solenoid has a good ground. The red wire comes from the start button to the solenoid to engage the starter. Older model Polaris atv's only had the 2 battery cable connections and the small red wire. If its above a 2001 Model I can't help you very much. Put a test light on the black wire and make sure it's a ground wire.
2001 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
2004 Honda ForemanES 400 4x4
Old 02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7172
It is an 03.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
I seen that it is a 2003. I am telling you I have only worked on 2001 and older models. Check the black wire and see if it's hot. More than likely it's a ground wire. The small red wire is the starter button wire and it makes the connection inside the solenoid to both of the cables sending power to the starter. When you let off the start button the red wire is dead. That solenoid is the same solenoid used on lawnmowers for years.
2001 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4
2004 Honda ForemanES 400 4x4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
atv starter relay hook up

how do i hook up starter to bettery to selonoid on a polaris skidoo

how do i wire up solenoid on my 1995 polaris sportsman 400
how to test starter solenoid on sportsman 335
polaris 500 starter problems
polaris 500 starter relay
polaris predator solenoid hooked up
polaris sportsman 500 starter relay how to test
polaris starter solenoid ground?
replacement of starter solenoid on a 2004 polaris sportsman 500 ho
sportsman 500. solenoid
starter solnid relay wiring for polaras 500 ho
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.