Sportsman 800 Twin / gas in the oil - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Sportsman 800 Twin / gas in the oil

Hi all, new to the forum. My '05 Sportsman 800 EFI is getting gas into the oil somehow. I found the oil level elevated (about 3/4" above the max line) and the oil was thin and smelled like fuel. I changed the oil/filter and confirmed a good oil level, added some SeaFoam and rode the bike for a while and it happened again after several short rides. The coolant level is not changing and the oil is not milky at all so I'm fairly certain it's fuel. The quad is used frequently for short trips and one of the plugs has been fouling faster than normal. I'm thinking I may have a fuel injector sticking open but I thought I'd run it by you folks to see if you have encountered this problem or have any suggestions. BTW, the bike runs strong with no loss in power until the plug fouls. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Sounds like a leaking injector.
Oilboiler likes this.

1998 Honda 300
2005 Predator 50
2012 Outlander 1000XT. Elka Stage 4s, Rox 2", Bearclaw HTRs.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I pulled the injectors, applied voltage and sprayed carb cleaner thru them. They seem to cycle OK as I cycle the voltage. I guess I'll put it back together, change the oil/filter again and finish running this tank of gas/SeaFoam thru it and keep a close eye on my oil level. Thank for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Yes but when closed with pressure behind it, that's when it probably leaks.

1998 Honda 300
2005 Predator 50
2012 Outlander 1000XT. Elka Stage 4s, Rox 2", Bearclaw HTRs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Changed the oil again, installed brand new fuel injectors and I'm still getting fuel in the oil. I'm scratching my head on this one.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
Did ya do a compression check? Possibly bad rings on that cylinder with the fouling plug.
Oilboiler likes this.

2015 Sportsman 850 in Sage Green
3500 lb. Polaris HD Winch
QSC Clutch Kit (from Ryan @ RVS Performance)
Odyssey PC925L-P Power Sports Battery
VIPair Windshield
HD ATV Gear Billet Pinion Cover
EPI HD Springs, Front & Rear
Cecco Frame Braces
27X9 and 27X11-14 STI Rocktane XD Rubber
Guru Bumpers, Front & Rear
Lock 'n Ride Front & Rear Boxes
Rhino Monster, Rear Box
Camoplast Tatou 4s Track System
Heated Grips and Throttle Control
Lowrance BAJA 540 GPS
SuperATV EZSteer 380
Various Mods for Ice-Fishing
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilboiler View Post
Changed the oil again, installed brand new fuel injectors and I'm still getting fuel in the oil. I'm scratching my head on this one.
Sounds like bad/stuck piston rings to me, like another posted said do a compression check although it should run rough. If the compression is good then check the spark because it may not be firing in that cylinder all the time. Intermittent firing can cause the problem as well, but it should idle rough or run rough. I have seem the engine with a bad/failing coil foul plugs and run ok too, so check your spark as well. A intermittent sticking valve could do something like this too, so a compression check.

Also your fuel injectors are electronic controlled, so check that as well.
Oilboiler likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. The strange thing is the machine is running like a top. It runs as strong as it did when it was new. It idles smooth and throttle response is great. Spark tester indicates spark on both wires and the plugs are new with proper gap set. I'll check the compression on both cylinders and see if thats the issue. I sure hope it's not rings...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Finally got around to testing the compression. I've got 168# on one cylinder and 148# on the other. Both hold pressure once I stop turning over the engine. The cylinder with the lower pressure is the cylinder that tends to foul plugs more quickly. From what I've found researching what the compression should be, my numbers look like they are within spec. I guess I'll try to test the coil and plug wires next. Any pointers are appreciated.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, still trying to figure out how I'm getting fuel into the oil. I just replaced the ignition coil and plug wires with new (Dynatek). Spark and compression are good. New fuel injectors. So, after yet another oil/filter change I'm monitoring my oil level closely again. It runs like a scalded ape and idles smooth. Time will tell. I guess if it happens again it's time to dive into the motor...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode