Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Member #12720
Recoil starter problem.....

I have a 1988 Polaris trail boss 4x4 250cc and one day about 1 yr ago i went to start it up with the pull starter and the rope stayed out and didnt coil back in. This week i thought i should get back into it so I started to take it apart and I took off the chain covers, the chain and the first cover that the rope is on but i took off all the bolts to the next part but it wont budge off.

Also the first time i took it apart i spun the wheel that the rope goes around on and it just spun and didnt catch onto anything so im guessing it could be the spring but i cant get the cover off so i cant figure it out.....please help lol

and do you think that it can still be started if i just take the rope off?

Last edited by Jsleboda15; 03-07-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Member #18200
removing recoil starter.

I just had the same problem removing the recoil housing assembly from my 250 trail Blazer when I installed a new starter in it.

The factory uses some kind of silicone sealer and it can really make the housing stick to the engine case.

broman suggested that I soak it with WD-40 and this did the trick for me.
I was able to use a long prybar on the front of the housing and it popped right off. I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, but that didn't work.

If that doesn't work you can try heating it and that might loosen the sealer.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #11694
If its spinning around and not catching it sounds like the spring is broke the spring comes pre wound from us that helps with the assembly of the recoil. We have recoil rebuild kits available from our online store Hit-The-Gas New and Used OEM Parts for Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, ATV, Jet Ski, Motorcycle, Ranger, and Dirt Bike feel free to check it out. ~Aaron
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Member #12720
so i just got back into fixing this atv, i took the housing off the the fly wheel. now i noticed that the peice that holds the ratchet, and the spring that engages with the fly wheel is broken. one of the tabs broke off...So i know that is one problem but as for the spring im guessing it is in that housing that i took off, but i dont know how to take it apart further. even to get at the guide and the ratchet that are broken. i took off the housing cover where the rope goes but i still dont understand how to take it apart. I looked at a schematic from bike bandit (ill put the link below) but i still dont understand how to take it apart. if someone could help out i would really appreciate it, thanks.

1988 Polaris 250 Trail Boss 4x4 W888127 Parts, 1988 Polaris 250 Trail Boss 4x4 W888127 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM

Member #12720
ill probably put a couple of pictures of the housing up tomorrow or sometime soon
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
Sounds like the peice on the reel that holds the metal tab that swings out is broken. Quite common. You need to get a new one. Other parts should be okay though. when you get it appart you have to preload the spring. Easiest way to do it is to take off the handle and wind it up to preload. WHen you have it under tension, put the rope through the cover peice and reattach the handle.
- Fender guards, 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles, QSC clutch kit

12 Bronze Mist Sportsman 850XPHO EPS
- 3500lb PolarisHD winch, Polaris hand warmers, Powermadd Hand guards, HID lights, Guru Front Guard, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Front L&R box, Uni Air Filter. 27" Black Diamonds, Odyssey Battery, Rhino front axles

08 Sportsman 500HO
-26" STI Black Diamond, Kimpex box with seat, Rack/Fender guards, Uni Air Filter, HID lights, Ricochet A-Arm guards, Polaris 3500HD, Polaris hand/thumb warmers, EPI clutch, Rhino front axles

01 500HO Plow Machine
-Kenda Bearclaws, Kimpex Plow, hand warmers, Warn winch

Faithful friends no longer with me:
94 Sportsman 400 4x4- owned 18 years
2000 Xplorer 400 4x4- owned 10 years

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
250, boss, recoil, starter, trail

Search tags for this page
2000 polaris trail boss 250 starter removel
2000 polaris trailblazer 250 recoil removal

how to fix the recoil in the pull starter of a polaris 250 trailblazer

how to get a polaris trailblazer recoil apart

how to pull the rope wheel off on polaris trailblazer

how to remove starter recoil on 1989 polaris 250 atv youtube
how to repair pull start spring on trail boss
how to replace the pull start cord on a polaris trail boss 250
polaris recoil starter assembly

polaris recoil starter repair

polaris trail boss replace recoil starter spring
recoil starter
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.