Polaris ATV Forum banner

Axle help needed....Please

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  philgood0316 
#1 ·
I was in the process of replacing my rear wheel bearings on my 14 Sportsman 400, and when I went to remove the rear knuckle the axle dropped from the inner cup. The cup was still attached to the gear case/transmission. I was finally able to get it off (pain in the A$$) I removed the cv boot clamps and looked inside the cup and there is a spring clip that goes inside the axle cup on the outer edge that holds it in. I have looked and looked and cant seem to find this, and the one that came out has a slight deformity and i really dont want to try and reuse it. Has anyone else had this problem, if so was they able to find this "spring clip / retainer"?

I'm about to order replacement axle from http://www.sixity.com/ seem very re...just wanna go riding. Thanks in advance!!!!

#2 ·
Exact same thing happened to me when taking stuff apart to grease the bearings with the Machined Integrations bearing greaser.
I ended up getting an axle from Sixity also and then put a boot kit on the one that came apart. The one thing I don't like about the Sixity axles are the boots they use, they look like they're stretched too far when installed, but it hasn't came apart yet.
Before I reinstalled the clip you're referring to, I pulled it apart a little to make it fit tighter in the groove to hopefully keep it from coming out again.
How is yours deformed?

#5 ·
I think I know what you're referring to as the bend, but there is no bend in the one I have, just a round piece of wire.
I'll get a pic later.
I used plenty of anti-seize too.

#6 ·
Reactions: sportsmandan
#7 ·
Yep, some will have a little bump to assist in getting them out.
I was just wondering what kind of "slight deformity" the OP was talking about to keep him from using the original.
Those things really aren't very tight and don't actually HOLD anything. It simply sits in the notch to prevent the balls/spider from rolling past it. So long as it snaps into the notch there is no reason not to reuse it. The balls/spider never extend out that far under normal use while on the machine.

#8 ·
Sorry everyone I have been out of town....Mine has a little bend and it will snap snap back into the groove. I just find it funny that it was out of the groove for no known reason.....If it is not in the groove you cant grab the axle and pull it out, I had to pry and hit with a hammer while pulling on the cup. I'm glad im not alone in this issue, it would suck to have had axles issues while on a trip and having to deal with getting it out. I went ahead and purchased two new axles from Sixty we will see how these hold up...Thanks everyone...

#9 ·
Just an update, the sixty axles came in, they seem like they are very good quality and so far no problems. I kept my Polaris axles and have repaired them for extra's...Just in case, Thanks for the help and comments everyone! :smile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.