Polaris ATV Forum banner

Battery Replacement Option for 570

55K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  thumper1500 
#1 ·
Bought a new Sportsman 570 about three months ago and my battery will barely start the next day. Even after charging. I know I could take it in and get a warranty battery, or at least think I could but after reading on the forum it seems the oem battery may not be the way to go. I think I would just like to put a better battery in and be done with it. My question is what is the largest battery that I could put in there? Looking for the reserve for my winch. I've had good luck on my previous bikes with the YUSA batteries but have no idea of what size to order. I tried the search and there is so many posts I thought I could get a clearer answer by starting another thread

#4 ·
The battery just looks small. I figured if I was gonna buy one I would buy the biggest I could fit there. I didn't want to buy the same size so I was hoping that maybe someone would have a part number of a bigger battery. I'm not understanding the terminology I guess. Definitely want a sealed battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Yup, mine came with a 190CCA but I went with a 220CCA and my starter loved it.
After all it energizes the fuel pump, lights up the dash pod, tail lights & requires the brake lever to start so toss in the brake lights before the starter sees anything.

Reactions: ATV_ME
#6 ·
I would go with the biggest AGM battery you can fit in there.

#9 ·
If you get an AGM battery, you shouldn't need to worry about charging it. If you get a wet cell battery, such as the OEM, be careful about using a battery tender on it. When a battery charges, that is when it gasses, and eventually the cells will dry up. Very important to keep the cells full, above the plates, to avoid damaging your battery. I think that is why so many people have problems, even though they keep it on a charger. I bet they all have low cells, and that is a battery killer. If you keep it topped off, and ride it occasionally, the OEM, or wet battery, will serve you well for many years. No need for a tender unless you park it for weeks at a time, and never run it. In over ten years, I've never had a battery problem on any of our atv's. Lot's of info out there about how to care for a battery. Most every RV forum has many threads and links on proper battery care since they rely on their batteries most of the time to power the RV. A much better source than atv forums for how to get the most out of your battery.

#13 ·
^^ Spot on. Fwiw, I will say, sadly my bike does sit for weeks at a time, and my battery crapped out within the first 6 months of ownership. My cells were full, either the battery was bad or the electric gizmos on the 570 constantly draw power, my buddies 500 HO sits for the same periods of time and his popo battery is fine. So, instead of trailering my wheeler to the dealer I just upgraded to an AGM, the diesel to get to the dealer probably would have cost me the same $. :grin

#10 ·
There really isn't room for a physically larger battery on an atv. There's a thread here somewhere where a guy stepped up in size, and it really didn't fit properly. The proper size will serve you well if you take proper care of it.

#11 ·
To Bob's first point about putting a charger on a wet cell battery, be vigilant about keeping it filled with distilled water.

I was on a ride in the middle of NH with a guy in our group with less then a year old wet cell battery. Well he doesn't get out to ride to often (lots of other seasonal toys) and keeps his wheeler on a battery maintainer. Well low and behold his bike goes down and even with a pull start (KQ 750) the bike wouldn't run. Had to jump him and limp it off the trail system.

His battery was bone dry and he had to drive into town and pick up a brand new battery.

#12 ·
Guess I just got a bad battery. My average lifespan for a battery is about 5 years. I've never used a battery tender. I charged it twice after it wouldn't turn the starter. To be honest I haven't checked the fluid level. At three months I didn't think to check it. I like the idea of a sealed battery. Will pick one up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Mine all get plugged into battery maintainers when not being ridden. Tired of replacing batteries every spring and or having to jump start every time we want to move them. Have a cord hanging down in middle of garage bay that all 4 plug in to. Simple as popping the seat off and connecting the 2 pin when parked.

#15 ·
Does anyone use Lithium Ion batteries? I've read good things, but haven't researched it much. I know a lot of guys are using them in dirt bikes now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.