Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Member #1556
2007 Sportsman 800 - Clicking Problem

I just picked up a 2007 Sportsman 800... 39 Hours on it, clean like it just left the showroom floor!

Here's the problem...

When i am slowing down i hear a clicking coming from the transmission (i think). H or L gear...

I checked tran fluid, looks good..

I put up on jack stands, and turned the wheels... when in a gear it makes the noise, but when in neutral it does not... again brings me to conclude the transmission..

I talked with the guy who i bought the machine from... he hasnt done anything to the machine except change the engine oil.

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #618
Could be a cv joint clicking.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 PM

Member #1556
I just pulled off the belt cover to start my investagating...

If i move the secondary cluth by hand side to side... it makes the sound within the transmission... like there is play in it..

so when i am slowing down. it must be making it when the the clutch is disengaging...

doesnt sound any good to me..
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #915
trans noise

Hey there,I have an 07 800 and it sounds like a box of marbles when the clutch spools up I've learned it's the nature of the beast.First time I heard it I was down at H MC trails, going down hill the noise was shocking at first but I was with two other 800's and theirs sounded the same.I have 1200 miles and no problems with the trans.The motor on the other hand is a different subject
ricochet armor, rock bars,K&N air filter,GPS ram mount,chatter box 2 way radios, front & rear rack extensions,Kolpin 1.5 gal rear mount gas can,throttle & grip warmers.rear accessory mounts,Polaris front storage box,Polaris shock covers,rear cargo bags,2" receiver,Polaris hand guards, 60" glacier 2 plow, pro form headlight guards,Polaris rally lights
Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Member #4413
What did you find out on this problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlongino View Post
I just picked up a 2007 Sportsman 800... 39 Hours on it, clean like it just left the showroom floor!

Here's the problem...

When i am slowing down i hear a clicking coming from the transmission (i think). H or L gear...

I checked tran fluid, looks good..

I put up on jack stands, and turned the wheels... when in a gear it makes the noise, but when in neutral it does not... again brings me to conclude the transmission..

I talked with the guy who i bought the machine from... he hasnt done anything to the machine except change the engine oil.

any thoughts?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Member #4437
I had this problem happen twice to me on my 07 500 x2. When I would slow down their would be a clicking sound, it appeared to be coming from the transmission. What the dealer found both times was a front pumpkin that went bad. The first pumpkin was bad out of the box. The second one I just got replaced last week after 3000 miles. My dealer went good again. One of the machanic's stated there were some problems with the 07 pumpkins. If you find this to be the problem maybe you can have it fixed for free.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3476
Send a message via Skype™ to Parsons Synthetics
Welcome aboard. If I can ever be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Member #4477
Same problem

I think I might have the same problem. It sounds like gears grinding when I slow down. I initially thought it had something to do with my completely submerging it
last fall. I was wondering if anyone knew if on the 800(07) X2 whether there is a separate rear gearbox oil from transmission fluid?
After I submerged it, I changed what I thought was the transmission fluid, but now am wondering where you change the rear gearbox fluid at? I also changed the front gearbox oil and the engine oil(multiple times).
I just can only find one drain plug and one fill plug on the back half of my X2 800. My 800 is also an 07

Last edited by Sunset Ed; 04-23-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Member #7007
I have documented the same problem in a new member thread. Sounds like the nature of the beast. Imagine trying to sell this with the bottom end sounding like it wants out of its case. What a racket. From what i have found, it does sound like the gears and improper mesh or maybe sloppy tolerances from the factory. Clangity, clangity, clangity. The dealer wasn't much help and was going to turn it into polaris but didn't sound too positive about a fix. Seems polaris doesn't like to open cans of worms that might cost em big time. So i clang and clang and clang down the trail. Hear me?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris 800 problems
2007 polaris 800 sportsman problems
2007 polaris 800 x2 problems

2007 polaris sportsman 800 problems

2007 polaris sportsman 800 review

2007 polaris sportsman 800 stealth

2007 polaris sportsman 800 stealth edition

2007 polaris sportsman 800 x2 problems
polaris 800 sportsman problems
polaris sportsman 800 problems
polaris sportsman 800 transmission noise
polaris sportsman 800 transmission problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.