Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 06:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12597
Plastic repair?

I have a broken plastic piece on my 05' Sportsman 700 and was looking for some ideas on how to repair it without buying the whole assembly. The broken piece is part of the rear body assembly and is under the seat, picture is attached to help illustrate.
I was thinking about trying to use a plastic welding kit to fix this. Has anyone tried this? Or have any other ideas?

Any feedback from experience would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic repair?-atv-rear-body-1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8796
not sure how nice you want it to be and look but on my broken plastic i sort of stitched it. i drilled holes on each side of the crack and zip tied it together.

2003 polaris trailboss 330 2x4-freshly rebuilt engine
1987 Yamaha Banshee 350 twin (sold)

1998 Yamaha badger 80 (sold)

1993 arctic cat 550 ext! (snowmobile)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12597
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvman2010 View Post
not sure how nice you want it to be and look but on my broken plastic i sort of stitched it. i drilled holes on each side of the crack and zip tied it together.
Doesn't have to be real pretty. It is covered by the seat. I was just looking for it to hold together, maybe going to try one of those cheap plastic welding kits from harbor freight.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7771
I've got the same exact break on my 800. I drilled it and used safety tie wire. Not sure if it will hold up to the vibration, but we'll see. If not I'll try plastic zip tie next. I've never used the plastic welding kit so get back to us after you've used it for a while.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #11979
Try drilling small holes and use small gauge wire to sew them together then put plastic welding kits/epoxy on top and bottom of it to seal them together. You might able to sand it if its small enough and paint over it.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #11395
^^ thats what id try ^^
POLARIS 850 XP W/EPS pure polaris hand guards and front lock and ride box, RICOCHET front and rear a-arm gaurds all lifted up on 27" GBC SPARTICUS tires on ITP system 6 rims, uni air filter and fender flares on the way
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #11806
Plastic epoxy at any auto parts store..
Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Its small, but be sure to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from going further...

The plastic weld lit altho seemingly cheap, can work very well. My buddie has fixed his kids fenders most of last year with one. One time he tore it right off and the kit with a little wire for good measure and out of site fixed it up very nicely...

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:45 PM

Member #8479
Oh Yea, This is for you.

I recently ran across something called Marine Tex. It has not one time let me down and I'm talking repair as fine as eyeglass frames to molding and actually fabricating machine parts. It can be applied as thin as 1/32 and as thick as 1 1/2 inches. You can mold it like clay or spread it like butter pending on your needs. I've used it on glass, ceramic, plastic,metal, fiberglass and once even made me a temporary new boot sole. They even have one that remains flexable and one that can be applied completely underwater. Solvents grease and oil don't effect it and get this it even adheres to polypropelene or whatever that
plastic is that nothing sticks or bonds to (such as radiators)
It mixes like an epoxy (2 parts) Give it a try and I'm sure you'll be as sold on it as I am. After all this ranting on can you believe I'm not affilliated with it in any way what so ever other than just a consumer.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #10391
My 07 500 is also broke in the same spot. I just drilled out 5 small holes, and used my safety wire pliers to spin them up tight.
Accessories from www.TheATVSuperStore.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

atv plastic repair

how to fix broken atv plastic
how to fix broken plastic on atv
how to fix cracked atv plastic

how to repair atv plastic

how to repair plastic atv fenders
how to repair plastic on atv
new plastic for a polaris sportsman 700
plastic atv fender repair
plastic repair
polaris atv plastic repair
repair atv plastic body
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.