Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Member #1635
2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Overheating

My 2008 Sportsman 800 EFI is overheating. The HOT light and service engine light comes on. This happens after running the machine for only a few minutes. The machine has 190 miles, the radiator is full of coolant and clean. The fan does not always come on but when it does it only stays on for a second or two. I tried to look for a fan sensor on the radiator but couldn't find one. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Member #1534
It sounds as though there is a flow issue for the coolant, you can have a full tank but if it isn't circulating there is a problem....also make sure you have oil in if it is a 2 stroke...it could also be a faulty switch/dial for the heat level....jut some options to check
Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Member #1108
We had an 07 800 2x that had an overheating problem. We had it back to the dealer 4x trying to get it figured out, but they weren't able to so we traded it in. Some of the things they tried: check to make sure the radiator is absolutely clear, no sticks, mud, or seeds, etc. Make sure it isn't leaking - even a pinhole leak. Check to make sure there are no air bubbles in the coolant. They checked the fan relay sensor and said it was functioning correctly. They replaced the filler neck thinking it was misshapen and causing vapor lock. They completely took apart the water pump to see if the fins were warped (they weren't). Replaced the thermostat. About the only thing they DIDN'T do was tear it apart to see if the head gasket was shot. That machine only had 1100 miles on it, and the overheating didn't start to happen until the 800 mile mark. The machine would get very hot on our legs, and then you'd start to smell coolant, and then it would start flashing. Sometimes we could go several miles before it happened, other times it happend within 3 miles. We carried antifreese with us all the time!

So I'm very curious to see if you get your overheating issue resolved, and if so, please post to let us know the source of the problem. Thanks, and good luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 AM

Member #1635
mnbsr: I hope my machine doesn't have some hard to find problem like yours. At first glance I couldn't find anything wrong because the fluids are fine and the radiator is clean. The only thing I noticed was that the fan did not come on for very long. When it does come on it's only for a short duration like 1-2 seconds. If the dash is flashing hot shouldn't the fan run full-time? Sometimes the fan doesn't come on at all when the machine is hot. On my older Sportsman the fan sensor is in the radiator and you can jump across it but I don't see the sensor on this machine.

Philip Smith
Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 AM

Member #1108
Thankfully we'd bought the extended warranty, so all of this was covered work. We questioned whether the fan was the problem on ours, but different techs. tested it (at two different dealerships) and said it was running correctly. This was just a stumper, I guess - I'd researched it extensively on other forums (which BTW aren't are great as this one!) and no one really seems to have figured this out other than 1) make sure your radiator is whistle clean; and 2) make sure there are no air bubbles in your coolant (you can open the filler tube and squeeze the hose underneath to get the bubbles to come out). We ended up believing the 700 & 800 motors are too large/run too hot for the small cooling system that's standard on all the machines - the cooling system just can't keep up. Now, that's just our theory and maybe we're wrong, which is why I keep on eye on these posts to see if someone comes up with a sure-fire solution! We traded the 800 in for a 500 - loss of power, since we've never had a speck of trouble with our 450, we figured we might get lucky with the 500. So far we're pretty happy with this one, but we've only put 200 miles on it, also!

Last edited by mnbsr; 10-13-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Member #1216
2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Overheating

I had a similar problem this past summer with my 2007 800 Sportsman. The fan would come on and then go off before it had cooled the engine.

Sometimes the fan would slow down and just pulse, other times it would not run at all. I tested the thermal switch on the cylinder head by unplugging the wire, the fan would come on but would eventually quit. I found that there is a circuit breaker that is accesible by opening the front storage cover and removing the rubber cover in the center of the storage compartment.

The circuit breaker is in a black sealed pouch attached to the wiring harness. It is supposed to keep water out of the circuit breaker, but does a better job at keeping it wet. The circuit breaker is an automotive style breaker that is available at automotive parts stores for thes than $10.

After replacing the circuit breaker, I have not had any more problems with overheating.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Member #1635
Thank you guys for the great tips. I found the problem after paying $6 and downloading the service manual. The fan motor has three layers of protection. This machine has a thermistor in the block which reads the temp then sends the temp to the computer. The computer sends a signal to the fan. The signal goes through a 15 amp fuse, then a relay and finally a 20 amp circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is hard to find and you have to take off the front rack to reach it. The breaker is a 1" rectangle box. enclosed in plastic and is located under the frame. You can feel it but it's hard to see. You have to remove the plastic and then you can unplug the breaker. The breaker has two posts and there is no way to tell if it is good or bad. After I removed the breaker I made a short piece of wire and jumped the contacts. The fan worked immediately. To test the fan you unplug the thermistor harness and the fan will run for 20 seconds. The breaker was easily obtained through NAPA. On my old machine the fan sensor was in the radiator and they failed frequently. I usually made a jumper and just let the fan run all the time. On the new machine, even with the jumper, the fan only runs when the computer tells it to. Without the fan running the machine overheated within a few minutes since I am in Florida and the temp is usually in the mid 90s.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Member #1216
Could you post the link to the site that has the service manuals?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Member #1635
Here is the link to buy and download manuals. The 2008 manual I bought was $5.99 and it was a genuine Polaris manual.

http://www.repairmanual.com
Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Member #1635
It is a pay site but the manuals can be downloaded and my genuine Polaris service manual cost me $5.99. I was very pleased with the manual.

http://www.repairmanual.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2008 polaris ranger overheating
2008 polaris sportsman 800 ho thermostat and fuse locations
2008 polaris sportsman 800 overheating

2008 polaris sportsman 800 problems

2008 polaris sportsman800 problems
2008 sportsman 800 problems
polaris 800 over heating
polaris ranger 800 overheating
polaris ranger overheating problem

polaris ranger running hot

polaris sportsman 800 over heating
why does it say my sportsman 800efi is running hot and dont seem to be
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.