1996 Xplorer 400 Speedometer not working! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

1996 Xplorer 400 Speedometer not working!

I have a 1996 Xplorer 400 in great shape except the Speed-o doesnt work. To troubleshoot it I disconnected the speedo cable from the transmission and hooked up to a drill. It spun up just fine and the speedometer/odometer worked correctly. So therefore it looks like the problem is in the transmission or the hook-up point to the transmission.

I have looked at the microfiche and just cant find the fiche that shows the connection of the speed-o cable to the transmission?!?!?? It looks just like the speed-o connection on my Polaris snowmobiles (I think they re-use lots of parts between models and even ATV to snowmobile). Can anybody post a link to the microfiche for this part?? I am trying to get the part number for the hub that the speedo cable hooks up to, which in turn is bolted to the left side of the transmission by three bolts.

Second, whats the chances that the bolt on part is the problem and not something internal in the transmission?? Really want to have a working speedometer/odometer, but not planning on pulling and cracking open the entire transmission if that is where the problem lies!

Thanks for any help!
Travis

1996 Polaris Xplorer 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Browse
I think it's listed under the pod parts. It's a right angle drive. You can probably test it by removing it from the side of the transmission without taking the transmission apart.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Yep, for the next guy (if any) the parts are:

3280218 Drive Adapter
3280217 Seedo Drive key
5020741 Bushing Speedo drive

BTW, it is listed under the headlight microfiche, who would have thought?? I am going to replace all the parts just to make sure it is done right. $47.19 with shipping for all of it through various sources on eBay.

1996 Polaris Xplorer 400

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode