Polaris ATV Forum banner

12v Socket/heated grips not working

9K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cwlongshot 
#1 ·
Ok, so the PO had heated grips installed on here and there is also a 12v cigarette adapter on there too. Both are connected to each other, and neither work. I couldn't find any fuses that were blown nor could I really track down the source of the power loss. My multimeter registered 0.1-0.2 when the heated grips switch was turned to either low or high. The wireing is also tied into the headlights. So when they are turned on the multimeter goes down to 0.0. Here are some pictures if, for whatever reason, it helps someone point out something to me. I know electrical work through pictures is nearly impossible but it gives you an idea of what I'm looking at. There is a toggle switch under the hood that I really am confused on. I have NO idea what it's to, but it looks like the wires run back towards the back of the quad. Really weired but that fuse was good so it has nothing to do with the 12v adapter. Any help is always appreciated. I'd like to get this thing working for future use.

Multimeter reading

Under the pod pics (you can see where the multimeter is hooked up to)

Under the hood pics

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you traced the wires from the switch?

Are the terminals on your lighter dirty or corroded?

To me, it would be best to run the switch for your grips straight from the battery with an inline fuse!

#3 ·
some tips

tip one..
flip your meter down too 20 volts, your on 200
tip 2
attach your black wire to ground, any bare steel on the bike, i took the test probe of mine and put on a alligator clip so i could attach it too ground

tip 3
your going to have to follow the wiring from that toggle and find out what the hell someone has done to your poor bike

do some more investigating and i'm sure some of us can help

#4 ·
Yeah, that's going to be fun as there are a TON of wires cramed under the hood. Well I have Thursday and Friday off, so that will be a good project to untangle everything. I actually did have it on 20 for a few tests and it registered .15-.16 intermitentley. As far as the lighter terminals being bad, I tested them using a 6v hobby battery and it works just fine. So you're saying take the multimeter's ground and attach it to the bike or take the wireing "harness" and attach it to ground? This should be a fun project, I'm usually pretty good with electricity but this may be a bit of a chanllenge. Thanks for the help everyone!

#5 ·
just ground the neg side of the multimeter!!! makes it easier to use, or if u have a test light that would be even better, u dont need to know what the voltage is, its going to be 12v or damn near, it cant be anything else..anyhow follow those wires from that switch i'm curious as to to why someone hid a switch there... are any of the wires at that switch hot?

#6 ·
I'll test everything I can Thursday. I'm curious to know what its for too. Hell, the PO didn't even know as he bought it from his buddy a few years prior. Probably doesn't do anything anyway. We'll find out though, my main issue is getting the 12v adapter to work and of course the hand grips.

#7 ·
Well I tackled this job today. That toggle switch led to NOTHING. The "hot" is connected to the solenoid and the "ground" is connected to the frame under the seat. So I started diving into the web of wires on this thing to see where the adapter issue was at. The "hot" on it looked like it was either cut or got snapped off. Here's the kicker, I couldn't find the other end of the "hot" wire (get it, hotwire. . . h o t w i r e, hotwire dot come. Couldn't resist). I looked and looked and undid all sorts of electrical tape to see if I could find anything and nothing. So I just took the hot wire from that toggle switch and connected it to the adapter hot wire. There is juice flowing there regardless of where the toggle swtich is, not sure how that works, but that toggle switch does nothing. Juice runs through a fuse so I am safe just incase there. Now here's another question. The PO said the heated grips will only work when the air temperature gets cold. Well I didn't see anything in there that looked like a temperature sensor and I sure didn't FEEL the grips get any warmer when they were on. Does anyone have them and if so 1) how long do they take to warm up? 2) Does the air temperature have anything to do with them turning on or not? My main thing was getting the adapter to work so I could bring along my gps on our trips. The battery doesn't last very long if I have it disconnected (bought it referbished) so this will definatly help!

#8 · (Edited)
Big fingers and a iPhone somtimes equil double posts.... ;)

#9 ·
I'm wondering if the PO had that wire and switch, as some kind of kill switch???

I need to do something similar to the Trail Boss, For my wife. It's got nothing for aux power. Gonna add a fused 12v outlet. For air pump or GPS or phone chger or whatever.

Also have second one in my box of the 700. This way I can leave my cell inside protected and still charge it.

Not to hijack.... ;) I have a Small DC/AC inverter. Thought about adding it to the rear box on the 700 for lite 115V needs.... Anyone ever try that?

#10 ·
That's actually a good idea. I have one of those too, that would just plug in to the dc power adapter. Don't have any uses for it ATM, but I can now keep the ac/dc in my bag just in case someone else on the trail does.

#11 ·
I picked this one up last year at a Pep-Boys that was closing for 20$! I think its a nice unit, fits in the center console like it was a drink and has two plugs and a couple computer like outlets too... But the home stores also have them for not allot more.... Just kinda thinking out loud...

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.