Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM

Member #14809
Front drive shaft removal

I can't figure out what I'm doing. I have 2 Polaris quads. a 330 Magnum and a 55 ATP. Both are 2004. Both have bad cv joints and need to be replaced. The 500 is destroyed and needs the whole shaft replaced so I bought 2 whole shafts. I can not get them out of the front differentials to save my butt!
There is a circlip on the end of the shafts that keeps them in the differential. How on earth do you get them out? I've searched youtube and can only find people taking apart other quads, not Polaris. Those just seem to pop right out by hand. Mine will not! I've tried prying them out, yanking them out and all kinds of mess. My neighbor is a big guy and he can't get them out. HELP ME PLEASE, SOMEONE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Member #14787
Get 2 pry bars or screwdrivers, and put them on the opposite side of each other and pry at the same time. It should pop right out, that's how I did it,
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleo1 View Post
I can't figure out what I'm doing. I have 2 Polaris quads. a 330 Magnum and a 55 ATP. Both are 2004. Both have bad cv joints and need to be replaced. The 500 is destroyed and needs the whole shaft replaced so I bought 2 whole shafts. I can not get them out of the front differentials to save my butt!
There is a circlip on the end of the shafts that keeps them in the differential. How on earth do you get them out? I've searched youtube and can only find people taking apart other quads, not Polaris. Those just seem to pop right out by hand. Mine will not! I've tried prying them out, yanking them out and all kinds of mess. My neighbor is a big guy and he can't get them out. HELP ME PLEASE, SOMEONE!!!!!
Most of the time you have to soak them with penetrating oil for a while, then try the pry bars. Sometimes they can be stubborn!!

2007 Sportsman 800 efi , L&R tall windshield, Viper Max 4000 lb. winch with 3/16" Amsteel rope by Atv Winch Rope, 25' Amsteel tow rope by Atv Winch Rope, RDC fairlead, RDC deluxe gas cap, RDC shifter, RDC overflow bottle cap, RDC 2" lift , 27" Maxxis bighorns s/w on Vision Outback 12" wheels, Uni air filter, Dalton o/bl primary clutch spring, front and rear brushguard, front and rear rack extensions, and a SanAngelo backrest
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Member #14809
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys,

My son and I got them all out. While waiting for a reply we went out and took the whole front differential out with both shafts still in place. We then disassembled the whole thing to see how it was built.

We found that the shaft never actually enters the differential so I sprayed WD-40 all down around the shaft at the differential (basically filled the hole up) and let it sit awhile.

In the meantime I ran to my brother's and borrowed his ball joint fork. It barely fit but it was good enough. Tryed it on the one without WD-40 and it didn't want to budge. Tryed the one with WD-40 and pop... right out it came! Sprayed the other one and waited a couple seconds and it came right out too.

Until I learned, by taking it apart, that I would only be prying against the cup which held the shaft I was afraid of tearing something up by hitting it to hard. The WD-40 is what made it all happen though.

Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate it. Now we both know how they are built too and I especially like the part that my 15 YR old son is learning something besides Xbox and texting and just tearing up the quads and cycles and then leaving them for me to fix! And he seems interested. Thanks again, Jeff
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5629
Way to go!

Glad to see you're making the repair a family project!!

It's always good to see things like this from two perspectives!

Good luck!!

2007 Sportsman 800 efi , L&R tall windshield, Viper Max 4000 lb. winch with 3/16" Amsteel rope by Atv Winch Rope, 25' Amsteel tow rope by Atv Winch Rope, RDC fairlead, RDC deluxe gas cap, RDC shifter, RDC overflow bottle cap, RDC 2" lift , 27" Maxxis bighorns s/w on Vision Outback 12" wheels, Uni air filter, Dalton o/bl primary clutch spring, front and rear brushguard, front and rear rack extensions, and a SanAngelo backrest

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2004 polaris front drive shaft removal
changing a drive shaft on a 2007 polaris atv
how do you get the front driveshaft off a 2010 polaris ranger
how to remove a front drive shaft on polaris atv
how to remove front drive shaft polaris sportsman 500
how to take a front drive shaft out of a 2002 700 sportsman
how to take the front drive shafts off of a polaris four wheeler
polaris 330 cv shaft removal

polaris front drive shaft removal

polaris sportsman front drive shaft removal
removing 2010 polaris ranger front drive shaft
removing front drive shaft 04 ranger
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.