Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Member #15560
New belt loose and slipping

Hey guys I'm new to owning a Polaris. I have been doing a lot of work on my used 2001 Sportsman 400 4x4. I had noticed the new belt was loose that I installed but didn't know how to tighten it so I took it for a ride this weekend to see how it ran. It ran well on flat ground but when it came to small hills or any incline it had no power. It progressively got worse and I had to turn around and end my trip. I could hear the belt smacking the plastic inside the clutch cover and it was smoking bad so I know it is loose. It was a brand new OEM belt. I'm a DIYer so I don't want to take it to a dealer. Is there a way to tighten the belt or do my clutches need replaced? Will a clutch kit like EPI offers fix the problem or will it continue? Thanks for all suggestions or ideas!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Good morning playa and WELCOME!

I would look closely at your motor mounts. Then pull the CVT cover and before you touch anything, look at the belts alignment. It should be straight form front to rear sheaves, not angled at all. Also can you read the letters on belt? It should be installed so you can read them as you stand on the side of the machine.

I would dress the sheaves with a scotch brite pad followed by a good cleaning.

If the belt is shredded, be sure to vac out everything, including the ducting as pieces can find where way back in to the cover and waste your next belt.

Be sure you have installed the correct factory belt.

Good luck,
CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:45 AM

Member #15560
Thanks CW, I will take my CVT cover off today and take another look and also make sure I have the right OEM belt for my machine. As far as checking my motor mounts, am I checking tightness, alignment or ?? I bought this wheeler as a project and it has been just that as I learn more and more. I'll keep you posted on what I discover.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I'm assuming you are going to find them broken. Usually the rubber pulls from the steel. You will need to gently pry. Lifting or torqueing engine. You will see it/them separate.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:58 AM

Member #15560
Ok, so the belt was aligned properly and it was the correct OEM belt for the machine and installed so I could read the letters from the left side of the bike. I watched it slipping on the primary clutch when reved up in neutral. I removed the secondary and can hear something small rattling around inside. I have a clutch puller and ATV coil spring compressor ordered. So I guess now I have to wait...once I have every thing apart I will be able to assess the issues. I saw some clutch kits available online as well as rebuild kits. Not sure which one I will need. The teeth on the belt were in decent shape but pretty glazed on the sides from slipping. Anything I am missing?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
belt, clutch kit, cvt

Search tags for this page
belt slipping on polaris sportsman 400
hear loose polaris ranger belt
how loose should a belt be on a polaris ranger
how to replace the belt on a 2001 polaris sportsmen 400
how to tighten a loose belt on atv
i have alot of slack in drive belt on polaris ranger is something wrong
loose belt on polaris sportsman
polaris belt slipping
polaris sportsman 400 belt change

polaris sportsman 700 belt replacement

polaris sportsman belt slipping

very loose belt polaris
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.