Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Member #1665
"Seafoam"

I have had a couple of friends recommend using/running a product called "Seafoam" threw my 2005 Sportsman 500 H.O. before having the carb cleaned and checked out. It has had a problem of sputtering and dying randomly. The quad will run good for a couple of days and then go thru a spell of dying a couple of times, and then running good for a couple of days {see my post "Still having running" posted earlier.They said it is one of the best products for cleaning without alot of cost and work. I am just wondering if anyone has any input on this subject?

Wyoflyfishing
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #552
Sounds like you need your carb cleaned. Try it maybe it will work.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #1644
is it an efi model?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Member #1665
Dirty Dawg Dale;
I think I will try Seafoam and see if it helps If no one has anything else to add or warn me about this product. The product says it is safe for gas engins, and will not harm seals, sensors.

4Play;
It is a carb'd 500 H.o.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:19 AM

Member #972
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoflyfishing View Post
Dirty Dawg Dale;
I think I will try Seafoam and see if it helps If no one has anything else to add or warn me about this product. The product says it is safe for gas engins, and will not harm seals, sensors.

4Play;
It is a carb'd 500 H.o.
Seafoam is a good product for the application I have seen it used in which was at a tractor dealership in a tractor. I could not comment on whether it would be wise to use in your Sportsman. If I were you I would not run any chemical through my system. I read how you unpinched your breather hose, what happened after that? Is it running good now or are you still having the same issue? If it is still happening I would rather see you clean the carb and install new needle/seat. We here at the dealership do not run anything through a system. We simply clean the system back to nice and shiny and of course make the necessary adjustments or fixes where needed and all comes out working fine.
Mike
Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM

Member #1665
I haven't ran in since correcting the pinched tank breather line. I hope to get out and try it again. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice, I was just couriose.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Member #1710
seafoam is fine to use in a 4 stroke motor just read the instructions on the back it can also be used as a gas stabilizer for storage .
Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #1644
A true Polaris rider never put's it away tho.lol
Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Member #1825
I've used Seafoam in my VTX 1300R and it seems to have helped it run smoother, but it was just starting to run a lil rough at times. I'd run it again since you just unpinched the breather tube. You might find it's running fine now. If your machine continues to die out I kinda doubt the Seafoam is gonna do much. Most of these fuel cleaners in my opinion do a minimal amount of cleaning. If your machine has been setting a long time fuel system is probably gummed up pretty bad. Good luck and safe riding.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Member #1665
I am going to take the quad out, and use it this weekend elk hunting. I am sure hoping that this was the problem. Since I have bought this machine it has only sat for a max of 2 weeks, and the guy I bought it from put about 200 miles on it every year. The machine now has 2100 miles on it. It runs like a stripped aped majority of the time but from time to time it acts up, never any consistency with the dying issue. I might still try and run the seafoam threw it before heading out this weekend. It can not hurt from everything I have been researching. Now if I can only figure out why the had warms just quit working the last time I went out. But that is another issue. If anyone has any ideas on that problem, please indulge.

Regards,
wyoflyfishing

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2871326 polaris
atv seafoam
how to use seafoam in an atv
how to use seafoam in atv
polaris 2871326
sea foam atv
sea foam for atv

sea foam in atv

seafoam atv

seafoam for atv

seafoam in atv

seafoam in my honda 4wheeler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.