Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Member #15793
What is e.t.c. How does it work

1999 250 2-STROKE TRAIL BOSS

I have owned this Quad since new, always rock solid.
But i cannot get it to start at all. Have worked on every 2 stoke out there,bikes,boats, quads,weed eaters etc. Pretty simple stuff, got good gas,got
spark, got air, got compression, it should go! I will try to summarize the situation
quickly, labor day 2010 was the last time this bike ran perfectly. I let it sit in my
shed at the lake house until Nov. 6 2010 when i tried to start then, just cranks
no start. It's got spark, even changed the plug. Took it home, thought it had bad gas, cleaned out the carb and drained all the gas out. Recently i put fresh gas in ,no start, just cranks, no life no fire.
I have been through checking 3-4 times:
NEW PLUGS - 3
DISASSEMBLE CARB, clean all jets, passages, needle and seat, float level, choke circuit adj. throttle cable adj. vent tubes,everything multiple times
HAS SPARK, COMPRESSION, INTAKE BOOT GOOD, SUCKS AIR IN FROM INTAKE
The last idea is E.T.C. problem possibly? Any ideas please!
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
Does it ever pop or hit at all? If not it may be electrical. You said it set in the shed at the lake for quite a while...have you checked the exhaust real good? Mice just love to build nests in them and they won't hit a lick if they can't breath. I had a fellow bring one to me couple years ago acting like yours and after I got the pipe off I found it stuffed full of acorns and dog food!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Member #15793
It baffles me!
Does not hit a lick at all, I have even sprayed carb cleaner in the intake port
while cranking, tried a spray of brake cleaner (shot a small fire ball out the back of the carb) ,dumped a little gas down the cylinder then tried to fire it up, nothing.
I did not check the exhaust pipe to see if was pushing air out the muffler.
But it is stock exhaust and the opening to the end of the pipe is small and 3 feet off the ground.
I would like to get some direction about this E.T.C. System. How does it cut
RPM to the engine in a stuck W.O.T. condition?

But any and all suggestions are welcome, I will check the exhaust. Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM

Member #14874
Recently i have figured out how the etc works.If you lift the lid carefully off throttle housing you will see that the cable enters in and there is a 2 wire setup.The etc is like a failsafe if the throttle ever sticks open.The 2 contacts will touch and the unit will shut off.Cable adjustment and idle are critical for the etc to work.The Polaris manual gives a simple explanation as to how to adjust.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Member #15793
Thanks, I will look at the owner manual i have to set adj. E.T.C.

But I would like to know how it kills power to the engine, does it short voltage to the coil?

Remember I have spark in the cylinder, don't know if it is good or weak spark, but it sparks.
3 new plugs tried. Any body else have this situation? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
I think when it kicks it, the ECU retards the timing so much it is basically missing. I may be wrong, but for some reason that is what is coming to mind. I will try to verify my answer
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM

Member #15793
I looked in my owners manual and it does not outline the process for adjusting the ETC.
Can anyone post this procedure up or link me to directions from this site?
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
This info is based on 1988 year model 2 stroke.
Compression service limit 115 PSI.
ETC Theory of Operation
When there is a problem with the throttle mechanism and the throttle lever is relased, the ETC switch contacts close. Power is delivered to the limiter module through the white wire, and engine RPM is limited to the "ETC limit." It is important to remember that ETC limiting will occur whenever two input signals are present at the limiter module:
1. The limiter module must receive voltage through the ETC switch circuit(White wire).
and...
2. Engine RPM must be at or above the "ETC limit". The RPM signal is delivered to the limiter module via the Yellow/Red alternator wire.
NOTE: The reverse RPM limit will override the ETC Limit when both are receiving voltage.
ETC adjustment: Adjust ETC switch until switch plunger is completely depressed. NO PLUNGER CLEARANCE 1/16"-1/8" throttle lever free play. (readjust idle)
I hope all of that info helps you.
(Currently I don't own a Polaris but I work on them all the time and get to ride cutomers for test rides. Maybe soon I will be a Polaris owner.)
Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
One more thing I might add. Disconnect the black wire from the CDI unit. The limiter system will then be disabled. If the problem still occurs the limit system is not the cause.
Just to help me out. You said it fires. That means the spark plug is firing. You said it cranks that means the engine runs(starts). I think you mean the engine turns over but will not start. I will help you all I can. I don't know alot about 2 strokes. I have a service manual that covers 1996-98 Model Polaris.
Glad to help you,
(Currently I don't own a Polaris but I work on them all the time and get to ride cutomers for test rides. Maybe soon I will be a Polaris owner.)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 AM

Member #15793
Thanks tt425,
It sounds like your the guy to talk to with the Polaris knowledge.
I will pull the shrouds off and check the black wire diag.
And while i am in there will look around for any disconnected or chewed through wires
(rodent).
If you read back in this post about my situation, ran fine Labor Day 2010, sit in the shed
for 9 weeks hasn't started since. Has spark, has good gas in the float bowl, has compression
has air, no exhaust restriction, turns over no start

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
94 polaris etc
atv etc switch
etc polaris 90 atv
how does polaris etc work
how to adjust polaris etc

polaris etc

polaris etc adjustment

polaris etc problems

polaris etc switch

polaris etc switch adjustment
polaris etc system
polaris magnum etc switch
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.