Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 AM

Member #15888
99 Sportman 500 oil in airbox won't start

It quit running the other day took the top cover off and lobe on exhaust is bad so I know I have that to do but should I just over haul the engine while I have it apart or just change the cam and see it is the cam? There was oil in the airbox when I took everything apart. It ran pretty good til this happened.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh View Post
It quit running the other day took the top cover off and lobe on exhaust is bad so I know I have that to do but should I just over haul the engine while I have it apart or just change the cam and see it is the cam? There was oil in the airbox when I took everything apart. It ran pretty good til this happened.
Put another cam and rocker assembly in it and it should be fine. Be sure and change the oil. Use a good oil filter such as a WIX (NAPA OR CARQUEST), or Polaris and good oil(MOBIL 1 Synthetic 0w-40 or Polaris oil). The camshaft wears out due to improper oil change intervals or carb flooding putting gas in the oil. It also might not be a bad idea to clean carb and inspect needles for wear. Thanks
(Currently I don't own a Polaris but I work on them all the time and get to ride cutomers for test rides. Maybe soon I will be a Polaris owner.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1999 polaris sportsman oil in the air box

1999 polaris trail touring 500 . why will it run with the air box off and not on with carbs

1999 sportsman 500 oil into the air box

2 cycle quad wont run with airbox on
99 polaris sportsman 500 air box

99 sportsman 500 oil in airbox

oil in air box polaris sportsman 500

oil in airbox wont start

polaris 500 will not run with airbox on

polaris 500 won't run with air box on

polaris sportsman 500 oil in airbox

polaris sportsman gas in air box wont start
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.