Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Member #16511
Angry 2005 Ranger 500 4x4 won't start

In need of some help, please! It just will not start. I've changed the battery, ignition coil, CDI, spark plug, checked the stator and it checked out good. I also checked the starter and it seems to be good. When I changed the spark plug it was wet and you could smell gas on it. I know it gets a spark because I can see the spark when i do the spark check. It turns over all day long but will not start. Does it have a kill switch? Does it have an ECU or fuse box because I haven't seen one yet? Does anyone have a manual for it?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:05 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #14871
if you have spark and fuel it should start, but if you have low or no compression it won't ever start try doing a compression check. that's wit i'am talking about
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Member #16511
Now I'm not getting any spark. What can cause this problem?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #858
Check all your fuses and breakers....Stator, PDM...power dist module....
2" Ez install lift kit
26inch Zillas & 14 inch ITP wheels ..
Front &Rear Extenders
Polaris hand guards
K&N airfilter box system
My FenderGuards
EPI Clutch System. 2010 camo
SunPro Temp gauge. 550xp Sportsman
Xbow Gripper mount
~DOWN&DIRTY~
Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Member #16511
I finally have a spark but now it doesn't seem to get fuel. It seems the fuel pump pumps fuel into the carb and then stops after about 5-10 seconds. Is this normal? What causes the carb not to pass fuel into the engine? If I spray it with some lighter fluid (I know your not suppose to) it wants to crank but as soon as it burns up the lighter fluid it stops wanting to crank. Please Help, anyone!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12678
New fuel filter??
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 AM

Member #16511
I received this polaris in bad shape. At first the carburetor was flooding, so I cleaned it out, so then it was not flooding anymore. The key switch was missing so I found the right wires to make it work(orange and white/red and red/white). I was not getting a spark and then now I get one. This whole time I've been messing around with this the engine turns but doesn't crank(main problem). If I spray some carb cleaner it wants to crank until it burns off the carb cleaner. I've swapped out the whole ignition system(spark plug, ignition coil, spark plug, starter selonoid), cdi, pdm/ecu, and carburetor with another polaris that is running and still no luck. I did check the stator and it has the correct ohms. I don't have the capabilities to do a compression test. I mean there is nothing else that I can change but the engine? Please help with any advice or recommendation.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
Might be a timing issue. The ignition pickup on the flywheel has been known to rotate, causing the ignition timing to be way off.

Valves could be out of adjustment, causing a lack of compression.

If you just cleaned out the carb, but didn't replace the needle and seat, that could be the problem. You may have cleaned out debris that was keeping the needle from sealing off, but now it may be stuck in there preventing fuel from flowing.

Check the carburetor boot (going from the carb to the cylinder) for cracks or tears. That will completely screw up the fuel mixture.

Just some ideas.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 AM

Member #16511
Hey Razorback thanks for the ideas. I checked the alignment of the timing between the flywheel and the spocket on the head, and it was off. So I realign the timing and made sure the carburetor was clean. I still get a spark and the timing sounds alot better but still a no go on the start up. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the carburetor and it actually cranked over for a few seconds. It seems to me like it's not getting any fuel but I can feel the pump going and then it stops. Any more ideas?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
The fuel pump works off of vacuum pressure from the engine. If it's not rotating/running, then the pump isn't going to work. I bet you have a stuck needle valve. They are one of the most common problems in polaris carbs. They don't cost too much. If this machine was in the shape you described, then it would be a good idea to replace it anyway. It was probably what was causing the flooding in the first place.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2005 polaris ranger 500 carbed will not start
2005 polaris ranger 500 wont start
2005 polaris ranger fuel pump problems

2005 polaris ranger wont start

2006 polaris ranger 500 wont start
2006 polaris ranger cranks put won't start
my polaris ranger wont start
polaris ranger 500 troubleshooting
polaris ranger 500 wont start
polaris ranger will not start

polaris ranger won't start

polaris ranger wont start

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.