Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Member #16714
Xplorer 250 4WD transmission issues

I found this forum and it seems like a really good resource for polaris related things.

I just picked up a 2000 Polaris 250 4WD with a trashed transmission for a song and a dance, by in large i've got it mostly down but it appears i am missing a couple bolts that I cannot locate to remove the rest of the transmission... hence why im here looking for guidance.

So far i've removed the following bolts:
on the side by the clutch
under the body, toward the rear of the back of the transmission
on the top rear of the transmission (about 6" long)

where else am i missing? This unit has a 4wd, how on earth to I detach the 4wd from the transmission so i can get it out? Any other hidden bolts that I should be aware of?

If by chance you have a pic or something of the schematic from a manual that would be awesome. I have already ordered a factory manual for it, should be here in a few days as it's already shipped from the vendor.

anyway, thanks in advance.

Rob

Last edited by 338lapua; 07-12-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5074
Send a message via ICQ to pjmartin
What year is it?
No mods
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Member #16714
Sorry i seemingly missed that critical detail.

It's a 2000.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 AM

Member #16750
This is funny - I just got the transmission out of my recently purchased in-need-of-TLC 2000 xplorer last night. The rearmost U-joint of the front driveshaft slides off the front output shaft of the gearcase. I had to pull the recoil cover off along with the rear brake lever assembly for clearance, then roll the gearcase out the right side, then slide the driveshaft off.

Did you get the one by the front wheel drive shaft output on the side opposite from the clutches?

Here's a link to the gearcase mounting parts page from a mailorder parts site. Haven't used them, but they came up early in google searches.
Polaris Parts, Polaris Snowmobile Parts, Polaris ATV Parts, Polaris Ranger Parts, Polaris Accessories at wholesale prices
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Member #16714
Ya know it's funny you mention that one by the FWD shaft, i somehow think i might have missed that one... getting all the bolts is KEY to getting it out without getting too pissed off and grabbing the plasma cutter in a supporting role "as the BFH"!

I studied the transmission and for the life of me i couldn't figure out how that darn FWD thing came off, but once you said it, that totally makes sense.

Unfortunately I have to replace the starter as well while I'm in there, it seems flaky and might as well since I've got almost everything else off the darn engine and down that far. I ordered a clutch removal tool on EBAY from a local seller and will have it tomorrow, but in the meantime i can get the tranny out tonight and find out what blew up in there.

When this is all said and done, i can't really complain. I paid $700 for the quad knowing it needed some love, which was a really good deal given the fact 99% of the time it's the dog gears that go out, as an added bonus it's the same engine as my other Polaris ATV and I really like the 2 cycle stuff. Thankfully where my quad's are registered is a county that doesn't do emissions testing, so i can just crank her up and roll on.

really, thanks for the advice that makes a lot of sense and i'm sure it's going to save me some heartache tonight.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Member #16714
So i managed to get it out last night, thanks for the help. It seems i forgot to pull the bolt over behind where the clutch ties into the tranny.

Now that i got it out i took it apart, and it appears the IDIOT who owned it before me forgot to actually check his oil levels on a regular basis and managed to create a "bearing hand grenade". One of the bearings just came apart entirely in the case, it didn't create any damage except some metal is inside of the other bearings, so as far as i'm concerned all the bearings are SHOT! I've ordered up all the new bearings, seals, and o rings for the tranny. it cost me $302 for all of it, but it's well worth it since i got the quad for 700 bucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2000 polaris 250 xplorer trouble shooting
2000 polaris xplorer 250 manual

2000 polaris xplorer 250 service manual

2000 polaris xplorer 250 transmission

2001 polaris xplorer 250

2001 polaris xplorer 250 4x4 complete transmission
four wheel drive on a 2000 polaris explorer
polaris xplorer 250 forum

polaris xplorer 250 service manual

polaris xplorer 250 service manual 2001

polaris xplorer 250 transmission

polarius 250 transmission gragging
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.