Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Brake Fluid

Does Polaris make Dot 3 brake fluid, or have they upgraded to Dot 4? I checked at my dealer and they only had Dot 4. The guy at the dealer said that Polaris is always upgrading their liquids (oils, fluids, etc), so they may have quit making Dot 3. My ATV says to use only Dot 3, but is Dot 4 ok to use? Thanks
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
absolutely, you can always go up in DOT fluid, you just cant go down. Any machine that requires DOT3 can use a DOT4 because a DOT4 has a higher boiling point. But if your machine required a DOT4, you wouldnt want to use a DOT3, as you may boil the DOT3 fluid....so you can use the DOT4 no problems.

Now, DOT5 and DOT5.1 you need to starting checking labels, because some are a mineral oil and that woundnt work. But a DOT4 will be just fine.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
absolutely, you can always go up in DOT fluid, you just cant go down. Any machine that requires DOT3 can use a DOT4 because a DOT4 has a higher boiling point. But if your machine required a DOT4, you wouldnt want to use a DOT3, as you may boil the DOT3 fluid....so you can use the DOT4 no problems.

Now, DOT5 and DOT5.1 you need to starting checking labels, because some are a mineral oil and that woundnt work. But a DOT4 will be just fine.
Ok awesome. I had no clue. Thanks for the quick response. This forum rocks!
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
No problem! I just recently did all of this. I flushed the brake fluid in my truck as well of my motorcycle on the same day. My motorcycle needed a DOT4, my truck only a DOT3, so I bought a few big bottles of DOT4 and put it in both the bike and the truck a few thousands miles ago, and everything has been working as good as new.

Also, on this subject, I recommend investing $30-$50 in a Might Vac. (Shop around, prices vary on the same exact device a lot). It will make bleeding your brakes so easy compared to the pump and crack open method.

It pulls brake fluid through the line, instead of trying to push it out the traditional way. Its easier, cleaner, faster, and you use less brake fluid to do it with.

These are what I am talking about --->>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...-s2g3&aql=&oq=
Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17012
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
No problem! I just recently did all of this. I flushed the brake fluid in my truck as well of my motorcycle on the same day. My motorcycle needed a DOT4, my truck only a DOT3, so I bought a few big bottles of DOT4 and put it in both the bike and the truck a few thousands miles ago, and everything has been working as good as new.

Also, on this subject, I recommend investing $30-$50 in a Might Vac. (Shop around, prices vary on the same exact device a lot). It will make bleeding your brakes so easy compared to the pump and crack open method.

It pulls brake fluid through the line, instead of trying to push it out the traditional way. Its easier, cleaner, faster, and you use less brake fluid to do it with.

These are what I am talking about --->>> mighty vac - Google Search
Ok, I may look into that. Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
brake fluid for polaris ranger
brake fluid polaris atv
google polaris brake fluid

polaris atv brake fluid

polaris atv what type of brake fluid

polaris dot 3 brake fluid

polaris ranger 900 brake fluid

polaris ranger brake fluid

what brake fluid does a polaris ranger 800 use
what kind of brake fluid used in a quad bike polaris 250
what type of brake fluid goes in a 250cc quad
where do u add brake fluid in polaris ranger 800
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.