Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Member #15888
99 Sportman 500 timing issue

After doing top end rebuild and having the engine running the engine jumped time. I might have been off on the original timing but it was working. Could being off make it jump time?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #17047
Send a message via MSN to mstermechanic907
when you rebuilt the top end did you retime the engine using the colored links on the cam chain?or did you use the timing mark on the flywheel?the best way is to use the colored links on the cam chain,but you need to remove the recoil starter and flywheel and stator.the other way is th remove the valve cover,cam chain cover,cam chain tensioner and timing cap.i also like to remove the spark plug,find the t-mark on the flywheel and install cam chain on the cam sproket.you want the pin on the camshaft facing strait up,you can adjust the chain on the sproket until you can install the cam sproket on the camshaft.remove the center nut/cap on the camchain tensioner to unload tensioner spring,than reset tensioner and reinstall tensioner and install cap,reloading tensioner.than recheck timing marks as it might change.readjust if you need to.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 AM

Member #15888
timing

I have all apart again flywheel mark and camshaft are where they are to be. The mark on the chain seems to be off and not lined up with marks on camshaft does that make a difference if all else is lined up? Thanks for the help. I think after reading your post I did the second part. I may have been off the first time I did it would that make it skip time? I am going to redo as you said in second part and see what happens hope it stays in place I just do not see how it could skip time when it is all back.

Last edited by dlh; 07-29-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: add to
Old 07-29-2011, 05:22 PM

Member #15888
update

Put it all back together started right up I hope it does not skip time because I am tired of pulling it apart and putting it back together. I work on bigger stuff all the time never a quad before. Thanks for your help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1998 polaris sportsman 500 timing marks
1998 polaris sportsman cam timing
99 polaris 500 sportsman timing marks
how to set timing on polaris sportsman 500
how to time a polaris sportsman 500
polaris 500 sportsman timing
polaris 500 sportsman timing marks
polaris 500 timing diagram

polaris 500 timing marks

polaris sportsman 500 cam timing

polaris sportsman 500 timing marks

sportsman 500 timing
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.