Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Member #20926
You can order the starter with gears off ebay for $60 and a new solenoid for around $16. Bought my chain and sprocket kit off of there as well for $60 including shipping - dealer wanted to charge me $160.

Starter & Drive Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4 1995-2002 NEW | eBay
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Member #17769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicksonbr View Post
Any luck on the speedometer issue? I have a 2000 Polaris Xplorer 400 and my speedometer does not work. Any help would be great thanks!
I think the cable is broke but have not had a lot of time to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2911 View Post
BigRedRam95 you can get a starter from your Polaris dealer if you want to pay a couple hundred dollars. Check the starter relay and you can disassemble the starter and check the brushes and armature to see if they are OK. Mine son had worn out brushes that needed replaced, easy fix. I found this site that has parts cheaper. I've never ordered from here but it might be worth a look.

Polaris Starters, Starter Drives, Brushes and Solenoids | MFG Supply
I have the new starter it came with the bike in the deal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2911 View Post
Make sure your bolts on the inner cover are tight and look around the seals on both shafts to see if there are any leaks. Check the seal for the belt cover make sure its not torn or missing. Check the throw weights and roller on the drive clutch make sure they are not worn. You should also look at the bolts holding those in to make sure they are OK also. The faces of the clutches should be smooth and no ripples in the face.
I will look at all that. Anything you guys can tell me to look at would be great. I have never worked on one of these 2-strokes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #18728
my friend has a 2000 400 xplorer and had the same problem with the speedo and 4x4 not working. after doing alot of testing and research we found out that if the speedo quits working you will also lose the 4x4!somehow the speedo gives power to the 4x4 coils.the bad news is that theyre expendsive.about 300 bucks.idont know if there is a way to bypass the speedo to get the 4x4 working.hope this helps good luck
Old 12-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Member #21416
new to this site need info 250 exploer starter

when i try to start ,does nothing reverse light comes on ANY HELP!!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Member #20926
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger View Post
when i try to start ,does nothing reverse light comes on ANY HELP!!
Is the reverse light on when the gear selector is in neutral and forward? Does the neutral light come on at all? When you push the starter does it make any noise (one click/multiple clicks)? And I'm assuming it wont start with the pull start either.

If that's the case, it sounds like you may have a bad switch in the gear selector, or possibly faulty wiring somewhere. Check your wiring first and make sure the connections are clean and nothing is cracked or corroded. If they look fine, you may have a bad switch in the gear selector which is only sending a reverse signal. Even if the quad is in neutral and the switch is reading reverse it will not allow it to start.

If it is the switch, you could possibly override it. I know there is a way, I just do not know the process, but Im sure someone else could help you on here. I know an oem switch from a dealer is around the $200 range for a tiny little thing. It does not show a switch on the gear selector diagram as on a diagram for a 1998 model, but I do believe they still have one on the 1999-2001 models.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Member #21419
Xplorer 500

I got a 97 xplorer , having shifting issues with high and reverse Any suggestions .
Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 PM

Member #24883
Got a question about starter removal. Do you remove recoil starter cover to remove 2 bolts holding starter in place? I have removed all the bolts holding starter on and the starter is still in place. Hoping someone has an answer. Working with a 96 Explorer.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Member #16700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOne View Post
Got a question about starter removal. Do you remove recoil starter cover to remove 2 bolts holding starter in place? I have removed all the bolts holding starter on and the starter is still in place. Hoping someone has an answer. Working with a 96 Explorer.
If the '96 is like my '99, there is one more bolt! It's behind the fly wheel.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Member #31278
I have a 1996 xplorer and cant figure out why my lights are not working. I checked the bulbs and they seem to be fine. Is there a fuse? when I trun the headlight switch to high beem the light indicates that the high beems are on which makes me believe that there is power. I have to find my test light. Is there a relay and or fuse and where are they lovcated? Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Member #25290
I have the same machine...95 400 4x4. My speedo doesn't work either. I've checked the speedo by taking the cable off by the trans and hooking up a cordless drill to it and the speedo works. I'm figuring mine is in the unit hooked to the trans or the little piece that runs from the shaft in the trans to the speedo gear on the side of the trans. Haven't torn that apart yet but I have yet to find the little piece that goes from the shaft in the trans to the gear assembly on the side of the trans. The polairs parts lookup online says it's no longer available. I'm also working on hooking up my oil injection. Got a used pump on ebay for $15 as the one on my machine was missing the piece the cable hooks to. Just trying to figure out if I have to mess with the adjustmen on the cable that runs into the oil pump housing to make sure it is pumping the correct amount of oil. I've had my running and have run it about 50 miles or so on premixed as I knew the pump was not hooked up and haven't had any issues with it yet. It has over 2500 miles on it as the speedo reads 2300 and some change but has not worked in a couple years I was told. Good luck with your machine. I got mine free as the engine was toast from being run with out the oil injection working. Got a used jug and had it bored and put in an oversized piston and new rings. Runs awesome and has lots of power. Still working on getting one of the front wheels to function in 4x4 as I thing I need to replase the strut housing and hillard bearing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1995 polaris 400 xplorer oil injection connection to carburetor

1996 polaris xplorer 400 no lights

1996 polaris xplorer 400 starter removal

1997 polaris xplorer 300 service manual

96 polaris xplorer 300 4x4 front chain tighten

97 polaris xplorer 400 recoil parts

common problems polaris 400

nuetral light coming on in drive on polaris xplorer 400

polaris xplorer 300 starter removal

whats common problems on 1996 polaris sportsman 400 4x4

where is the oil pump on a 1995 polaris xplorer

where is the oil pump xplorer 300 w969130 located

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.