Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
HELP! 2006 Sportsman 700 EFI Dies for No Reason

I posted a thread several days ago that I had my 2006 Sportsman 700 EFI fixed--NOT!

Now I need to pick your brains some more.

My machine will run great for hours--and sometimes days--and then just die for no reason. Any RPM, any speed, it just dies--no rhyme or reason as to dry trail, wet trail, mud bog, hot weather, cold weather. If I try to restart it immediately it will seem normal for a second or two then die again. If I continue to try to restart it every minute or two, it runs longer with each subsequent restart, until finally it will run fine (minutes or days--who knows). It usually takes about 30 minutes to an hour for it to restart and run normally again. It throws no trouble codes when it dies and the speedo is not flashing HOT either. The fan seems to be cycling on and off when it needs to.

It could be heat related because it only does it at operating temperature and it restarts after a short period of time, which means it has also cooled down somewhat. It could also be an electrical problem.

To date, this is what Iíve done:

I've changed the fuel pump and filter sock inside the gas tank, and the voltage to the pump is good. I dismantled the entire fuel system, cleaned out the gas tank, gas lines and fuel rail, changed the filter and burned a tank of gas treated with Sea Foam. The fuel tank vent is also good. I've also covered the bottom of the gas tank with foil insulation.

The air filter is clean and the rubber intake boot between the air filter box and the throttle body is not cracked or rubbed through. The plastic throttle body adapter tube to the head is also in good condition. The clamps are tight in all the right places. The oil is clean and full as are all the other lubricants.

I changed the t-bap sensor, installed the beefier harness (the original was broken on the inside), changed the TPS (which was bad and I thought would be the final solution), and adjusted the TPS to within a thousandth of a volt of factory specs (zero offset and idle voltage). The TPS output reads good at the ECU plug as well. Spark plugs are in good condition and the coil and wires check out good.

Iíve removed and cleaned the contacts on the power and fan relays and their sockets (they were only slightly dirty but seemed to be making good contact). The fan works as advertised. The resistance at the coolant temperature sensor and the crankshaft position sensor are reading within specs at the ECU plug.

Iíve checked continuity for every circuit related to the EFI and found nothing out of order, though that doesn't mean there's not a short somewhere after she gets warmed up. The battery is strong and reads 12.8 volts. The machine reads 13.8-14.1 volts at idle.

Here are some possibilities that I can think of that I can do yet:
Change the TPS harness on the machine side (I plan to do this tonight), check the operation of the power and fan relays, and check the operation of the ECU. Change the self-resetting circuit breakers. Check the voltage regulator.

Anything I left out?

Iím running of the simple things except for the TPS harness and Iím afraid Iím narrowing it down to the ECU, which I donít want to replace at $400+.

Is there a way to check the operation of the relays and ECU myself? If I take it to the dealer it may or may not duplicate the problem and there goes a $100 in diagnostic labor.

Any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Stew

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Member #18132
I worked on a 700 EFI ranger today that's been having exact same symptoms. I disconnected all the harnesses and cleaned them one by one and checked it. Finally after the crank sensor was disconnected cleaned and reconnected it started and ran fine. I drove it till it engine was warm and couldn't make it stall out anymore. I hope that fixed the problem if not may be looking at a ECU
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt79 View Post
I worked on a 700 EFI ranger today that's been having exact same symptoms. I disconnected all the harnesses and cleaned them one by one and checked it. Finally after the crank sensor was disconnected cleaned and reconnected it started and ran fine. I drove it till it engine was warm and couldn't make it stall out anymore. I hope that fixed the problem if not may be looking at a ECU
Nice job. One day I will come across the problem and my machine will work as well.

Stew

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12678
Have you checked for strong spark when it takes a notion to quit?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterS View Post
Have you checked for strong spark when it takes a notion to quit?
No. I'm usually several miles from camp when it happens. What would you carry in your tool kit to check the spark in the field?

Thanks,
Stew

Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12678
Probably the easiest would be an inductive type spark/high voltage detector. You hold the sensor next to the high voltage plug wire while cranking and it detects the presence of high voltage/spark.

Alternatively a used/ but good spare sparkplug that has a length of wire fastened to its body with a hose clamp. On the other end of the wire I put a medium sized alligator clamp so that it can be clamped to a good ground. I remove the plugwire from the plug in the head and put it on the used plug. Crank it over and look for spark.
This might be tricky to do since the atv will be hot, presumably.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #8974
Is there a change in pitch of the fuel pump when its priming on initial start up after it shuts down and you try to restart it?Im just wondering if its going into "vapor lock"?

2002 Silverado 2500 HD ext cab 8.1

2002 Corvette convertible triple black
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post
Is there a change in pitch of the fuel pump when its priming on initial start up after it shuts down and you try to restart it?Im just wondering if its going into "vapor lock"?
I have noticed it doing that but only once or twice; and fuel comes out of the test port if you push the core in, though I don't know at what pressure. Could you elaborate?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #14603
Good Day All,

My 2011 Polaris 550 EFI EPS did that one day out in the field, twice. The weather and riding conditions were great, beautiful 30C day and the trails where hard packed and dry. The first time it did it i was on a straight stretch and went to accelerate and there was no response, so i stopped put it in neutral and it started right back up. We stopped later on down the trail for lunch and i opened the engine compartment to allow it to cool as it seemed hot. After about an hour we started to make our way back to camp, on the way back same thing happened again.

Once back to camp i opened the engine compartment again to allow it to cool down while we ate dinner, about two hours later we went for another ride for about an hour with no problems. Mind you both the machine and the outside temperature cooled.

When i got back home i phoned my Polaris dealership to ask what could be causing this as i couldnt find anything wrong with it. They advised me to bring it in and have it checked as it was only four months old. Well after 2 full days of working on it and ripping it all down and building it back up they could not find anything wrong. I havent had a chance to take it out lately to see if it is going to do it again but the REALLY short distances i have ran it so far it has been good.

If you do find a cause and dont mind please drop me a line so i can check it out on my machine.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:20 PM

Member #18737
I have a 2005 800 sportsman EFI. Same problem. Were you able to solve thi sone. Seems to b pretty common! Man thanks I wuod also think polaris shold be on top of this one because it is soe common. But they do not seem to be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

02 polaris sportsman 700 quits when idling

05 sportsman 700 efi shut down

08 polaris ranger throttle body adapter cracked

2005 polaris ranger dies when hot but starts right back

2005 polaris sportsman700 quit running will not start
2006 polaris ranger 700 twin reviews

2006 polaris ranger dead cylinder symptoms

2006 polaris sportsman 700 efi dies when hot

2011 polaris ranger just dies after a day run

i have a 04 sportsman 700 that runs fine one minute then goes completely dead the next minute and wont start what is wro
polaris 700 ranger dies when hot
polaris sportsman 700 twin cold weather quits aftwer running for 30 min
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.