Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Member #18297
Angry Lost My One and Only Key, Options?

Hi,

I recently bought a 2004 Sportsman 500 HO. On my 2nd trip with it, today; I discovered I'd lost my one and only key in one of three parking lots in Sheridan or Buffalo, WY. From my quick internet searches it would seem there are 4-5 options:

1. Pull the existing ignition switch and remove the tumblers so it'll start with a screwdriver. Not a good option as I leave it at trail heads for 6-7 hours.

2. Pull the existing ignition switch and have a locksmith make a key for it.

3. Replace the ignition switch. There's a guy on eBay that has replacements.

4. Have the dealer replace the ignition switch.

5. I've heard of people calling the dealer with their model and VIN and the dealer makes a new key. Problem is I haven't heard of any Polaris people doing that. Can anyone comment on this option?

In regards to #2 and #3, above, what's involved in getting the existing igntion switch out (and back in)?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1958
Just write down your VIN and go to the dealer and get TWO OR THREE keys
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #16252
If you loose you're only key, the only thing Polaris can do is get you a new ignition switch, you may be able to get a locksmith to cut you one, but you will still need a Polaris key blank
Mine- 2011 Sportsman X2 550 With EPS!!-Mile Marker 2500lb Winch, Guru Brush Guard, 3000K HID's, PIAA Driving Lights, Autometer Phantom Oil Temperature, Coolant Temperature, and Voltmeter Gauges, Polaris Low Lock and Ride windshield, Acerbis Handguards, Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, 2+2 gallon Rotopax Fuel packs, Warn 60" Provantage Plow w/ Power Pivot

Hers- 2000 Magnum 325 2x4-Symtec Heated Grips and Thumb warmer, Oil Pressure gauge, working on a few other goodies

Click here to learn how to add EPS to an XP!!! ---> http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...eering-x2.html
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 AM

Member #17343
I just got a new switch with two keys off ebay for under 50 dollars.It was very easy to put in,on my 02 sportsman 500 there was 3 screws to take out to get to the switch and a plastic nut to take off and just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #14212
Painterdan- glad it worked out for you but kind of disconcerting to think someone could haul off anyone's ATV, easily replace the ignition switch, and start riding it in no time.

Action
GBC Dirt Commanders
ATV Guru Brush Guard F&R
Ricochet Skid Plates
UNI Air Filter

2013 RZR 570 LE
Half windshield
Sport Top
More to come.....

Last edited by Action; 09-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Painterdan- glade it worked out for you but kind of disconcerting to think someone could haul off anyone's ATV, easily replace the ignition switch, and start riding it in no time.

Action
YUP... The "keys" don't offer one iota of security...

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Member #18297
Ignition Switch Out, Now What?

Well, the good news is I easily got the ignition switch out and can order a replacment.
(Not into thievery, here) However, I'd really like to get the ATV off the trailer, so, I can get the trailer disconnected from my car. I'm sitting here with the ignition switch, wondering how to get the tumblers out of it. Can anyone direct me?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Member #18534
Doesn't your trailor have a crank foot on it? if not I don't know why you don't just put it in nutral and hand unload it. I do it with my Gold Wing all the time.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #10159
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut47 View Post
Doesn't your trailor have a crank foot on it? if not I don't know why you don't just put it in nutral and hand unload it. I do it with my Gold Wing all the time.
I agree! Also, instead of pushing on the quad, try rolling one of the back tires by hand...it's easier. Like WingNut said, make sure it's in NEUTRAL.
1997 Explorer 500 (Traded)
1998 Sport 400. (Sold)
1994 Trailblazer. (Sold)
198? Suzuki Quadsport 230. (Sold)
197? Yamaha YZ225 Three-Wheeler (Traded)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
how do i remove the tumblers out of the ignition for my polaris sportsman four wheeler
how to get a replacement key for my polaris sportsman 400
lost key for polaris razor

lost polaris ranger key

lost rzr key
polaris ranger key

polaris ranger keys

polaris ranger lost key
polaris ranger lost my key
polaris rzr lost key

replacement key for polaris ranger

will all polaris keys work in any polaris 4 wheeler
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.