Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Member #8817
How to remove ball joint

I have a 2004 polaris sportsman 700 and i am wondering how to remove the ball joint. I have the cover off that holds it, but i need a good way of pulling it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Member #13301
I just changed out my ball joint. I made my own tool. I will post some pics of how i did it, and a write up if you would like?? I'll go load my pics.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Member #13301
Polaris makes a tool for pulling ball joints part # 2870871. Or you can make your own.
here is how i made mine..

I found a thick bracket laying around in my nuts and bolts cart and cut it 1 1/2" it already had a hole in the center of it that would fit over the ball joint, I also used a thick washer and a larger nut for a spacer as the ball joint comes out you will need a spacer to continue to pull the ball joint out.

This is what it looks like mounted

I used needle nose vise grips to keep the ball joint from spinning until it had enough pressure to start pulling the ball joint out.

This is how it should look as the ball joint starts coming out.

Note, the nut size is the same nut that is used as the lug nuts on your wheels... the castel nut i was useing stripped out the the threads, so I used one of the lug nuts to finish pulling it out.

Install of the new ball joint is just as easy. I used a 7/8 deep socket and gently tapped the new ball joint into place.

Use some blue lock tight on the srews.

and there you have it!

Hope this helps someone needing to do this job.

Last edited by NMElkaholic; 11-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
Nice write up!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Member #15474
perfect timing, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21174
just my 2 cents. i've had alot of luck with simply using a propane torch. heat just the aluminum around the ball joint itself and after a few minutes you can slide it out with pliers. also put the new balljoint in the freezer before you begin taking anything apart (don't let the wife see) and when it's good and hot the old one will slide right out and the new one will slip right in. changed probably 200 or so like this and usually don't even have to pull the rotor off, did it with the wheel off and the a-arm dropped out of the way. 30 minutes for both sides start to finish. and make sure and put on a new boot!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
Thanks guys for the write ups. I almost bought the Polaris tool when I thought I had broken a ball joint. Ended up being a bent A arm instead but I was dreading trying to pull it out. I can easily make one of those tools and with adding some heat they should come right out and the frozen one go right back in. Thanks again.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
I just use heat, then put vice grips on the ball joint shaft and hit it with a hammer,if you have a big enough deep socket to fit over the shaft and on the collar of the new joint, get everything ready and install new one while strut is still hot, it will tap right inn with deep-socket and hammer
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #27069
i have had good luck pumping grease into the ball joint grease fitting after removing the retention ring.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #3694
Just did this as well. Had to use heat and just cut a piece of thick pvc pipe and used several washers as spacers to pull them out. but if they are worn enough, you may end up pulling the ball/ bolt out of the socket. This happened to me. I had to weld the ball back in the socket and then no problems. if you have the capability to easily, i would weld them in fro the beginning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
changing ball joints 2005 polaris sportsman 700efi
how to fix polaris 700 lower ball joints

how to remove ball joint from polaris atv

how to replace ball joints 2004 polaris 700 sportsman

how tohow to remove ball joint on polaris ranger 700
polaris 500 ho ball joint pullers
polaris 700 ball joints

polaris ball joint removal tool

polaris ball joint tool
polaris ranger 700 ball joint
polaris ranger 700 ball joint remover

where can i find a ball joint removal installation tool for a polaris atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.