Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19189
Synthetic Winch Rope

Where is the best place to buy Synthetic Winch Rope? Also I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to ATV reparis but Mechanically inclined... How do I swap out the metal cable in my Polaris 2500lbs winch for the synthetic? How does the rope attach to the Spool?
28"X14" ITP Mega Mayhem Tires w/ 14" ITP SS112 Wheels, Dalton Ind. Primary Clutch Spring DPPS-O/BL, Warn Industries 2500lbs RT/XT Winch, BlitzKrueg Amsteel Blue 50' 3/16" Synthetic Winch Rope, BlitzKrueg Winch Saver, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Low Black Windshield, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Front Cargo Box, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Backrest, Pure-Polaris Hand Guards, Pure-Polaris Heated Hand Grips Warmer Kit, Pure-Polaris Glacier II Plow System w/ 52" Snow Blade, Pure-Polaris Sportsman Trailerable Cover, DDM Tuning 6000K 35 Watt HID Lighting, DIY Three Headlight High Beam Modification via Waterproof Relay
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
I've had good luck with the $50 dollar ropes from Amazon with free shipping. I use them often and they've held up well. Also try your local dealers.

When you unspool the cable and get to the end of it, you will see exactly how it's done. There is a llittle hole in the drum that the cable goes through and an allen screw that tightens down on it.

You can't use the screw with the rope or it will chew it up. You run enough rope through the hole and lay the running end all the way across the drum sideways. Then you wrap 1 or 2 layers of duct tape over it to keep it in place. Hold tension on the rope as you wind it in and it will hold it self when you put a load on it. Like the cable, you have to leave a full layer on the drum. I can't really see my drum so I painted a black stripe on the rope to let me know when it gets too far out.

Make sure you also replace the fairlead. A fairlead that was previously used with a cable will usually have a lot of burrs and nicks on it that will chew up a rope pretty quickly.

Stew

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips

Last edited by AKStew; 11-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19332
Amsteel sells spools of 600'. We are buying a spool between all the ATV junkies at work to save a few bucks. My winch is new and does not need replacing, but if I can get twice as much for half the price and have it as a spare, I'm in. One of the guys knows how to tie the braid so we are all set. Just a thought.

Polaris Lock & Ride Front Storage Box
Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Storage Box
Polaris Deluxe Front Brush Guard
Polaris Deluxe Rear Brush Guard
Polaris Handle Bar Guards
Polaris Lock & Ride Back Rest
Polaris 3500lb Winch Kit
Polaris Winch Accessory Kit
Polaris Wireless Winch Remote
Polaris Trailerable ATV Cover
Polaris Hand Warmers
Polaris Thumb Warmer

GoPro HD Helmet Hero Camera

"I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime..."
Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19189
ATV Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope 3/16" X 50' BLUE | eBay

That E-bay auction has 50' of Amsteel Blue Rope for a great price along with 5 feet of abrasion protection. Even has the part that you can connect to your winch and screw it in and a Timble.

They mention you should swap to a Hawse Aluminum Fairlead instead of a roller Fairlead, can anyone comment on wether I should switch?

Also they mention the Bolt-Holes for the fairlead are 4 3/4" apart, is this correct for the Polaris/Warn 2500lbs winch?
28"X14" ITP Mega Mayhem Tires w/ 14" ITP SS112 Wheels, Dalton Ind. Primary Clutch Spring DPPS-O/BL, Warn Industries 2500lbs RT/XT Winch, BlitzKrueg Amsteel Blue 50' 3/16" Synthetic Winch Rope, BlitzKrueg Winch Saver, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Low Black Windshield, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Front Cargo Box, Pure-Polaris Lock & Ride Backrest, Pure-Polaris Hand Guards, Pure-Polaris Heated Hand Grips Warmer Kit, Pure-Polaris Glacier II Plow System w/ 52" Snow Blade, Pure-Polaris Sportsman Trailerable Cover, DDM Tuning 6000K 35 Watt HID Lighting, DIY Three Headlight High Beam Modification via Waterproof Relay

Last edited by IndyRed800; 11-22-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15100
I just got this..

NEW! 50' SYNTHETIC ATV WINCH CABLE AND HAWSE PACKAGE | eBay
Old 11-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
Synthetic 3/16"x50' AmSteel Blue ATV winch rope $45

Try warriorco. I just bought his plow rope. Its a much better rope for less money than other places I have checked. He's a member here and as he states in the thread he will work with you on size,colors etc.
GoldFinger left hand throttle
and other stuff...
Old 11-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed800 View Post
ATV Amsteel Blue Synthetic Winch Rope 3/16" X 50' BLUE | eBay

That E-bay auction has 50' of Amsteel Blue Rope for a great price along with 5 feet of abrasion protection. Even has the part that you can connect to your winch and screw it in and a Timble.

They mention you should swap to a Hawse Aluminum Fairlead instead of a roller Fairlead, can anyone comment on wether I should switch?

Also they mention the Bolt-Holes for the fairlead are 4 3/4" apart, is this correct for the Polaris/Warn 2500lbs winch?
i believe the bolts on the fairlead are 4 7/8'' center to center for the holes
2010 Sportsman 550 XP EPS Crimson Red, Rear Seat
Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2920
Send a message via AIM to Smoothbassman Send a message via Skype™ to Smoothbassman
I get all my stuff from Viking Off-road. Great customer service. They stand by what they sell and their Amsteel lines have been the best that I have ever used over the last 5 years.

Viking Offroad
  • Front Lock n Ride Storage Box
  • WES Lock and Ride Rear Touring Box
  • Rotopax Front Storage Fuel Cells
  • Hand Warmers
  • Garmin GPSMap 62S
  • 27" Grim Reapers
  • 8000K HID Lights
  • Ricochet Full Skid Kit
  • Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition
Old 11-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19189
Thanks for all the links guys. I like the viking products, but doesn't appear they ship to canada.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed800 View Post
Thanks for all the links guys. I like the viking products, but doesn't appear they ship to canada.
Seems to be the case more often then not....you spend hours searching for a product, put it in your shopping cart..only to find out that they "do not ship to Canada at this time"...is it really that hard to ship a product to Canada...Geeesh...I could only imagine how much money is lost in America from this issue.

I have sent countless e-mail's to company's in America asking Why they do not ship to Canada and how can I pay for the shipping...I have never got a legitimate answer yet.

Last edited by skizmo; 11-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
atv synthetic rope canada
blpure sog
polaris 3500 winch synthetic rope size
polaris synthetic winch cable

polaris synthetic winch rope

polaris winch cable
polaris winch cables

polaris winch rope

polaris winch synthetic rope

replacement synthetic winch cable for polaris/warn winch
synthetic winch rope
synthetic winch rope polaris
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.