Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Member #22328
98 scrambler 400 4x4

So I have always seemed to have some sort of issue with the four-wheel drive system. It has been to polaris had fluids checked and all that but it never seemed to wanna engage right. Making only one front wheel spin and so on so forth. So my now the issue is the cv shafts. It seems they have popped out somewhat and is causing it to wanna turn whenever it wants. So my question is would there be anyway the front diff,drive shaft, and cv shafts could all come out to make it 2wd only?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
You could but you'll need to find a couple plugs to fit on the backside of the strut to cover the hole that the shaft went through. You may want to remove the intermediate shaft as well.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Member #22328
Thank you all for the responses. Would it save a good bit of weight? Cause I really dont want to put 400$ in the front end with all the issues its had in the past. And while im here without creating another thread. I dont believe the factory piston has been replaced...so im thinking about going with the weisco piston. Would I be able to step up the compression ratio and use pump fuel? I would be pairing this with the stage 1 ritter cycle pipe, jet kit, airbox.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
You really should give rick ritter a call about what you are wanting done.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
+1 on the Rick Ritter suggestion. I have bought 2 exhaust kits from him for out 250 trailblazers; he will set you straight on that! Google "ritter cycle". He is in OH or IL i believe.

He will probably tell you to put aftermarket piston in the 400; they are known for breaking piston skirts.

You may also consider converting to premix and using polaris gold oil; we've done that on all 3 of our Tb's and love it.

FYI the 'airbox mod' is simply removing the limiter in the airbox lid snorkel. You can do that before any mods .

Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

98 polaris scrambler 400

98 polaris scrambler 400 4x4

98 scrambler 400

epi red polaris scrambler 400

polaris scarmbler 400 intake snorkel

polaris scrambler 400 4x4 mods

polaris scrambler 400 air box mod

polaris scrambler air box mod

scrambler 400 4x4 4 wheel drive not always engaging

scrambler 400 air box mod

scrambler 400 front end pulling
scrambler 400 snorkel
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.