Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9595
Magnum 330 Oil Pump Prime

I'm probably an idiot for asking this, but how do you prime the oil pump on a '04 Magnum 330? It says nothing in the owner's manual (except one little warning where it tells you not to let it lose it's prime, but doesn't say anything about priming it.)
Since there's no oil tank, should I just clamp one of the hoses leading to the oil cooler like it says to do if you have an oil tank? If so, which one?

Or would I even need to prime it? I plan on having one of the hoses removed for awhile so I can go to the hardware store and "build" a new oil hose. Would I need to prime it after having the hose off for that long?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
I had to replace both the hoses on my 2000 magnum 325 this past summer and I just pulled them off, went and got new ones and after replacing them fired it up for a few minutes and then checked and added oil. I didn't even give any thought to re priming. Unless you took the pump off and let the oil drain completely out I wouldn't think it would loose prime. When you change your oil you don't get all of the oil out of the cooler and cooler lines. This is probably what holds the prime. If you leave the engine full of oil and the filter in place I don't think taking the hoses off will loose prime.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9595
I figured as long as I plug the holes it would be fine, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

I would like to know the procedure for priming it though, since I can't find anything that tells me how to do it (even the service manual says nothing on the matter.)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweaver64 View Post
I would like to know the procedure for priming it though, since I can't find anything that tells me how to do it (even the service manual says nothing on the matter.)
I honestly don't know. Maybe it is self priming and as long as you have oil in the motor it primes itself.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #9595
That would be nice if that were the case.

Can anyone tell me for certain whether or not it needs to be primed, and how to do it if it needs to be done?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

2000 polaris magnum 325 oil lines

325 magnum oil pump prime

how to prime an oil cooler

how to prime oil pump on a polaris atv

magnum 325 not pumping oik
polaris 325 oil change oil line clamp

polaris 330 magnum oil change

polaris 330 magnum oil cooler lines

polaris 330 oil lines

polaris magnum oil pump

priming the oil pump in a 2011 polaris sportsman

wwwpolaris magnum330.com

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.