Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 AM

Member #23294
2000 scrambler 500 whining noise

HELP!

i just shipped my quad to costa rica...after all the time and effort in getting the paperwork done, i finally got it back home.

first thing i took it up the "hill" and it whined like heck...only under acceleration...once i leveled out the throttle it stopped. It does not make this noise at idle, nor is there any noise when rear is jacked up...although i may not accelerated it high enough. no noise if motor not running and rolling the chasis.

i have owned it since new and it has had very little use...was stored inside in a heated shop when it was in the states. rode it around the property once in a while by my kids...maybe 50 hours on it and no problems.

already checked the engine and front differential oil. have not discovered the transmission oil check area....nor have i inspected the belt. after reading here i decided to ask first, as seals and gaskets maybe 1 - 3 weeks away.

i have polaris snowmobiles and the noise does sound somewhat like the belt noise from them but much louder...i sure do not remember this machine sounding like this.

it runs great...started immediately after a month in transit.
when shipped it did sit outside for about 7 - 10 days and there was some rain in the states and here. have run it about a total of 15 minutes.

ONE OTHER ITEM...when i went down the hill, not requiring any throttle, at times it was as if it was not in gear until i goosed the throttle. i am from the flat lands of illinois and have never ridden it down such a steep incline.
i currently live a little downhill of a very high volcano so all inclines are fairly steep....especially to a flatlander.

i have fairly good mechanically skills but have no experience with this vehicle and am especially new to the drive train.

i would appreciate all help you can provide! it is difficult to find "reliable"
and polaris experienced mechanics here.

thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
And welcome to the board!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
On my sportsman 500 the check bolt is on the left (driver's side). I'm sure they are not the same, but are probably similar.

I read a thread a couple weeks ago about a noise like this in a scrambler and the cause was because trans was low on fluid.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Something else to check would be at the front of the belt cover there's a tab off the frame that gets bent sometimes and allowes the belt to hit the cover and make noise.Something to check.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
X2 on what factionfx said, he even posted a video so a quick search here should bring it up.

Going downhill without throttle or engine braking is indeed like having it in neutral. Need to use a little throttle to engage secondary clutch which will get it "back in gear" and use a little brake so you don't go too fast lol! Seems crazy to use brake and throttle simultaneously but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Links:

polais making noises

2000 polaris scrambler whining noise

humming or whining when half throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
Was your wife/girlfriend on the back?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaen View Post

Reminds me of my favorite T-shirt, says "if you can read this, the bitch fell off" on the back
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM

Member #23294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgirard420 View Post
Quote:

Reminds me of my favorite T-shirt, says "if you can read this, the bitch fell off" on the back
one of my favorite shirts as well
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Member #23294
Quote:

no she was not...it would not dare to whine at my russian wife...she would beat the whine out of it!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
scrambler 500, whining noise

Search tags for this page
2000 scrambler 500 making whining noise
2000 scrambler 500 noise in trans

500 polaris scrambler is making winding noise

500 scrambler gear wine

500 scramblet making whining noise

polaris atv whine

polaris scrambler 500 whining

polaris scrambler humming noise

scrambler 500 whining noise

why does my 02 polaris scrambler 500 wine

why does my atv squeal when i accelerate

why does polaris 650 atv whine in high gear

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.