Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
Starting problem with 500 EFI Sportsman

Guys,

I have a 2007 (I think) 500 EFI Sportman. Is outside much of the time. Has less than 50 hours on it.

Started having starting problems with it after a cold soak when the temps got down to near zero. Switch on and you can hear the fuel pump tick and stop. Cranks fine ... no fire. Crank a lot and it eventually fires. Sometimes seems to help to flip the run switch back and forth.

Is like there is a leak in the fuel system so that it takes a while to fill fuel line ... but can find no leak.

Have added fuel line antifreeze to the gasoline (which is unleaded EXXON high test).

Is a PITA to have problems with the ATV when you really do need it.

Thoughts?

Mike
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
have you tried a new spark plug for kicks
Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
At less than 50 hours of run time? Doesn't seem sensible.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
no, no it doesnt, but EFIs still can foul plugs pretty fast.

did you ever start up and run the machine for only a few minutes over and over a couple times?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
After it starts, if I shut it down and then restart it within a couple of minutes it fires quickly. If I wait longer ... say a half hour, it takes longer.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
the reason i suggested the spark plug is that when an EFI first starts up it is running on its rich map. when you start them up and run them a short time, say, to move them into our out of a garage or trailer, ect. and turn them back off, you get excessive amounts of carbon build up on the plug. if you let the machine warm up and get out of its rich cycle it burns the carbon off. and EFI should be pretty gentle on plugs, but there is always this possiblity. for instance, at the shop, we move some machines from our back lot to the sidewalk for display and back at night. we are happy if our EFI machines dont foul plugs in only 5 hours run time. usually have to change out plugs every 10hrs or so of run time

almost sounds like your EFI is not trying to start in its rich mode. this would also explain why after its running and you shut it off it will fire quickly, but is harder the longer it waits
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
OK ... worth a try. What is the procedure for getting at the plug to remove it? Haven't looked at how to do that.

Thank you VERY much!

Mike
Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
you will have to remove on of the side panels. although i cant remember of the top of my head which side has better access. anyway, pull the side panels off, and then if you have the OEM spark plug wrench that came with your machine, use that, it works pretty well. pull the spark plug wire off of the spark plug. WORD OF CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!! i would absolutly take a fine tipped air compressor nozzle and blast a buch of air in the hole the spark plug is in after you have removed the plug wire. you want to blow any and all dirt that is in that hole out of there. you do not want that to fall in after the plug is removed and have it take out your piston rings.

put the plug wrench on the plug, and untread it just like a bolt. put the new plug in, screw it into the motor, (start it by hand first and get a couple threads going before using the wrech so you dont mess up the threads) push the spark plug wire back over the top of the plug, should feel a little "pop" once it is seated right over the plug, and see if it fires up better.....

if not, its only a $2 plug and 15-30mins of your time. start with the simple easy cheap possibilities first and ill help you work up from there. let me know if a new plug helps at all
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1752
OK Will try it. Is the plug standard or do I need to go to the dealer to get one?

How do the side panels come off?

Do have a source of compressed air ... good idea to clear the plug well first!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
the spark plug is pretty basic. they are $3.19 from the dealer but all you really need as something like an NGK BKR6E, should be like $2.99 a plug or so. autopart store, lawn and tractor store should have them, should be pretty easy to find.

pull your seat off. (small tab at rear of seat, pull up on the metal bar tap and lift seat away) side panels basically flex off. they have a small channel that the body plastic rests in. just grab and twist them and they pop off pretty easily. put them back on the opposite way. you will see what i mean when you get there. there are no fasteners or anything to worry about.

i do agree that hour wise you shouldnt need a new plug but, what you have is a symptom of a bad plug. start with the easy things first. let me know if this gets you anywhere and if not we will go from here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris sportsman 500 efi problems
how often should you change a spark plug on a polaris ranger efi 500

polaris 500 efi problems

polaris 500 efi ranger problems
polaris 500 efi starting problems
polaris efi 500 spark plug wire troubles
polaris efi problems

polaris ranger 500 efi problems

polaris ranger 500 starting problems
polaris ranger efi problems
polaris sportsman 500 efi problems
what type of spark plug does the polaris ranger 500efi use?
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.