Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM

Member #22039
exhaust pipe turning red

hi everyone,I had wrote a thread a little while ago about my carb leaking gas and backfiring,it seemed to be missing gas so i changed the jet from 157.5 to 159 ran a little better but still started backfiring after about a 1/2 hour.i just came back from pulling the wife and kid in a sleigh it is dark outside.my wife told me she saw a flame out the exhaust so I had her give gas and i was looking from the back i noticed there was a flash coming from the front of the motor,I saw that there seems to be a hole in the pipe and a flame is coming from there and the pipe turns red hot,what would cause this,does anybody have any ideas,this could be the problem from the start.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
exhaust flange donut bad where pipe connects, what machine ? what year?, did youn fix the carb from leaking gas? if not crankcase could be full of gas making a very rich condition.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
lean mixture, poorly adjusted exhaust valves (very poorly), plugged muffler (excessive back pressure), loose exhaust clamp. There are a few possible causes, but I would start by addressing the leaky exhaust and then check the mixture. If your exhaust is glowing red my guess is you are running pretty lean.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 AM

Member #22039
Thanks guys,2001 sportsman 500 ho,I do not think it is running lean,when it had the 157.5 i sprayed carb cleaner through the airbox and it stopped backfiring,now just before the flame out the back i get a puff of black smoke,so it is rich.I have 2 questions,

1,if there is a bad leak in the donut,or a hole in the pipe ,not enough back pressure will it cause it to run hot.
2,could it be the timing is out of sync,and not firing at the rite time.is there an advance in timing at higher rpm,cause even when it backfires at higher rpm it will idle all day long perfectly.someone told me the exhaust valve could have a lot of carbon build up and when expands it will not close properly,but it should not idle if that was the case and he agreed.

no gas in the oil,it has 4500 miles on it.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15824
Check the boot between the carb and the head. I'll bet its cracked.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6699
Don't rely on smoke from the exaust to determin if an engine is running rich or lean. Check the plug color, I still say there is a problem that is causing a lean condition. An exhaust leak will cause it, a cracked intake boot, or vacuum line. Bottom line unless you are pulling super high revs your exaust should never be hot enough to glow. These types of temps can only be reached by the conditions I already listed.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 PM

Member #22039
I had sprayed carb cleaner on and around the intake boot did not do anything.last nite in the dark you saw a flame or flash coming from the pipe about a inch away from the donut.i revving the motor at high rpms in neutral,but the wife saw the flame out the back at about 15=20 mph.The plug is black but not to much carbon build up changed the plug did not have time to try it.If your saying the leak in the exhaust will make it run hot,it makes sense cause when it starts making the little poppping sounds you say the motor is overheating.I do not want to bring it to a dealer,I can do the same thing change all the parts myself till I change the rite one.cheaper to. thanks guys

Last edited by spoonski418; 02-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Member #24270
my 04 was backfiring and running poorly checked intake to carb boot and found hairline crack replaced it and all well might be best to pull carb to check when i say hairline it was damn hard to see >>> was an easy fix tho

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

atv exhaust pipe red hot

exhaust pipe turning red

exhaust pipe turns red

honda atv exhaust turning red
pipe turning red on quad
rzr exhaust turning red
what causes an atv exhaust to turn red?

what causes exhaust pipe to turn red

what causes the exhaust to get red hot on a kawasaki engine
what would make the exuast on a polaris razor turn red hot
why does exhaust pipe turn red
why exhaust pipes get red on kawasaki in john deere gator
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.