Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Member #23621
98 big boss 500

Im working on a friends 1998 big boss 500 6X6 and it has been sitting for a few years ran very rough when first started cleaned carb and jet cleaned fuel tank checked spark checked ETC after installing carb it idles very smooth but when you get to about 1/2 throttle it starts like chokeing itself out any help would be appreciated polaris ran fine when it was parked
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
did you clean the pilot jet and the main jet, pilot is small jet in hole in center of carb, has vry small hole in it that gets [plugged , almost need a real small wire to get it clean then carb cleaner and compressed air.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
If it's a CV carb the diaphram could be bad. The part that controls the carb from off idle upwards.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Member #23621
thanks for the tip is there anything else that you can think of it does have the rubber diaphram in the top of the carb cant see anything wrong no pin holes or tears anymore help would be great would the rpm limiter have anything to do with it
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #3687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
did you clean the pilot jet and the main jet, pilot is small jet in hole in center of carb, has vry small hole in it that gets [plugged , almost need a real small wire to get it clean then carb cleaner and compressed air.
I agree. Problem will be the pilot jet plugged or float needle worn.
Are you sure it ran fine before? If it wasn't running fine before look at the camshaft. Is the airbox fully assembled and no air leaks. Clean air filter?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43 PM

Member #23621
thanks for the ideas but nothing has worked yet when it was parked about 3 years ago it ran fine he tryed to start it this year and it would not start he had no spark new magneto and it started it ran really crapppy then died having old gas in figured that was the problem dumped tank tore carb. off cleaned new gas it runs and idles incredibly smooth but past 1/2 throttle it sounds like its hitting the governor any more help or ideas would be great
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Is the slide in the right way? Is it moving as you throttle up? I still think its the diaphram. While its running try and lift the slide a little with a screw driver.
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
will it smooth out if you push the override button?,you said you checked etc? did you adjust it so there is only 1/8 inch of slack in cable at thumb throttle?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Member #23621
i tryed plushing the override button and still the same in F N R all the same results and yes the throttle cable was adjusted to 1/8"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1998 polaris big boss
1999 polaris big boss 2 stroke or 4 stroke

1999 polaris big boss carburetor

1999 polaris big boss timing problem
98 arctic cat big boss 500 carb settings
98 polaris big boss
98 polaris big boss both one front tire spins

are there carburetor adjustments on polaris 6x6 big boss

big boss 500 carb problems runs bad with air box on

carb adjustment polaris big boss

how do i find ouy what year my polaris 500 big boss is
location of model 98 polaris big boss
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.