Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Oil Priming

I am about to do my first oil change on my 2011 400 HO Sportsman and the owners manual says that I have to prime the oil pump afterwards. I am mechanically inclined and have worked on all my cars and trucks before. This being said the manual says that I should hear a rush of air after taking off the clamp on the line. Anyways this seems different from anything I have done before and wanted to get some advice from other members here. Thanks for the help..

FYI the 500 HO and this bike share the same owners manual.

Last edited by Rooskey; 02-28-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12109
I'd bet the dealer won't even pull the screen. Drain oil, change filter. Change oil like you should and the filter will not plug, just my advise,WR.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2441
What he said...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Just like a car. Fill ,start, watch the oil light to go out.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 AM

Member #20642
I was in the same boat as you, mech inclined, done lots of work on cars, was a bit timid when it came to doin the oil change on the quad. Turns out all the nerves were for not it was totally easy.

There is a you tube video on it, no access to you tube from work or else i would post it.

First to remember, like the other guys said, if you dont remove the pickup tube/screen in the back of the reservoir should be no need to prime the system. As for me, I didnt it anway. Just find the tube (should be up in the front right corner of the bike. Squeeze away as it says and when you let off you will hear the rush of air, easy stuff....Good luck!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22713
asked my polaris tech and he said if i keep a regular schedule according to the hour meter all i have to do is drain the sump and change the filter. add 1 full bottle of oil and 3/4 of the second bottle then check to top it off.He said they dont usually drain the crankcase unless the oil has not been changed for a long time. It is a royal pain in the ass to get the crankcase plug off and on again ...due to where it is on the motor. just passing along what i was told.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Being that this is the first (break-in, 25 Hrs) oil change I want to make sure I have all of the original oil out, and make sure the screen is clean too. So yea im gonna pull the screen and the crank case plug. Thanks for the info guys
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
I am going to be doing my first one this week as well. I took it to the dealer (35 miles one way) and dropped it off so they could check everything out...went back when it was supposed to be done and they did not have an oil filter for it, so it was not done....picked it up and brought it home and have decided to do them all myself. Are you going to use Polaris oil, or Amsoil 0-40w??
Old 02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23382
I had no issues with draining the crank case. Is it in a tight spot, yes it is. But I used a opened end 14 mm wrench and broke it lose then reached in with my fingers and took it out. I also pulled the screen out to check it and it was spotless. My bike has 400hrs on it to, it had 360 when I got it. I tried to prime the tube but never hear a sucking sound. I did spin the new oil filter lose and fresh oil can out of it so I assume it got primed or I wouldn't of gotten any oil to the filter?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22713
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2quick View Post
I had no issues with draining the crank case. Is it in a tight spot, yes it is. But I used a opened end 14 mm wrench and broke it lose then reached in with my fingers and took it out. I also pulled the screen out to check it and it was spotless. My bike has 400hrs on it to, it had 360 when I got it. I tried to prime the tube but never hear a sucking sound. I did spin the new oil filter lose and fresh oil can out of it so I assume it got primed or I wouldn't of gotten any oil to the filter?
the first oilchange i did drain the crankcase. It was bit of a pain to get the plug back in, i have big hands..lol Did not bother on the 2nd oil change.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2007 polaris ranger oil prime
2013 polaris 500 ho oil change and priming pump
how to prime a 2012 polaris 400 oil pump
how to prime a polaris oil pump
how to prime oil pump on a polaris atv
how to prime oil pump on polaris atv
how to prime oil pump on polaris sportsman
how to prime polaris oil pump

polaris oil pump priming

prime 210 polaris sportsman 500 after oil change
prime oil pump polaris sportsman

priming oil pump polaris 500

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.