Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3014
Screw it, just clearanced the terminals with a dremel. Here's my write up:

--

Installing a Battery Tender Jr. on a '09 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI.

When I tried to get to the battery the body work was in the way. I decided I didn't want to hang the battery by the cables to install the battery charger. It looks like you have to have a two-man crew to install the battery, or be willing to dangle it by the cables. I suppose putting it in you might be able to pry and prod it in at an angle to get it wired up but I didn't have the hands or the patience to do that. Dremel tool to the rescue!

Pic 1 - 7.5 amp automotive blade fuse comes with the BTJr.

Pic 2 - Pretty short cable on the ATV end, maybe 2ft. (it also comes with a short aligator clip cable, not pictured.)

Pic 3 - Can't reach the positive terminal without pulling the battery out. Note that silver loop (middle of battery) is a factory bungee hold down.

Pic 4 - There is probably enough room to tilt the battery back (toward the camera) and lift it out, but then you'd be hanging by the cables. bungee was unhooked by me before the pic.

Pic 5 - Dremel to the rescue! I clearenced a LOT less than this on the other bike, just enough to get a screwdriver in there. Seat seems to sit fine, bodywork seems to be as strong. I will be watching this as it ages though, may need to reinforce it if it starts to show signs of cracking around my handywork.

Pic 6 - BTJr installed!

Pic 7 - Just enough cable to come out behind the seat. I ran it under the bodywork so the seat doesn't pinch. Zip tied it to the wire harness there.

Pic 8 - It is just the right size to jam under the rack a bit. I think it will ride fine and quietly.

Pic 9 - Back to sleep for another few weeks until it's warm enough to ride in comfort here. The 10' cable on the plug end was probably long enough to reach the wall, but a cheap extension cord made it easier to unplug to walk around in my tiny garage.

Attached Thumbnails
Preventative Battery Maintence-01-fuse.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-02-length.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-03-bodywork.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-04-battery.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-05-dremel.jpg  

Last edited by uncre8tv; 02-27-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3014
rest of pics
Attached Thumbnails
Preventative Battery Maintence-06-hookedup.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-07-ziptie.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-08-installed.jpg   Preventative Battery Maintence-09-charging.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
nice write up. i know it seems tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it its easy to get to the terminals.....but thats after hooking up a few new machines monthly.

the "battey cover" i didnt see in yor pics. it is basically a lid that fits over the top of your terminals to protect them from mud, somehow shorting out, ect. thats what they were referring to when they said battery cover.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
the "battey cover" i didnt see in yor pics.
There wasn't one. Good to know about getting to the terminals. I'm assuming a little pushing/prying/twisting is in order? I am happy with my "mod" either way.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncre8tv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
the "battey cover" i didnt see in yor pics.
There wasn't one. Good to know about getting to the terminals. I'm assuming a little pushing/prying/twisting is in order? I am happy with my "mod" either way.
yeah, you do it enough you can pry and twist the plastic up to get to the terminal...but total pain in the ass. honestly, i would have done exactly what you did if it were my personal machine.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Member #4205
Have a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI AX
How to remove the battery? Do I have to remove the back cover to take the battery out? There certainly isn't any "battery cover" like it says in the manual.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:48 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanacross View Post
Have a 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI AX
How to remove the battery? Do I have to remove the back cover to take the battery out? There certainly isn't any "battery cover" like it says in the manual.
If it's like my '09 it's hidden under the left rear fender, and while some here claim you can get to it by twisting up the plastic a bit I just took a dremel to it (check out my pics.)

Otherwise it would be possible on mine to remove the bungee and work the battery out into the wheel well and unhook it then.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Member #4308
Great info but?

I have a batteryminder that a local battery place sold me. Like the one in the link below.

[URL="http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/BatteryMINDer-Plus-12-Volt-133-Amp-Charger-Maintainer-Conditio-p-16134.html"]

They told me that I could hook it to one to five batteries and charge them at the same time. One problem with that is they have to be 11 volts or more for it to work. So I went and bought a regular car battery charger that had a 2 amp charge feature to try to get them to 11 volts. They start to boil after about 15 minutes and will not hold a 11 volt charge. They are two years old and after reading this it seems like I have to go buy two new batteries. Would you agree?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #1726
well i have a vector battery charger that is a "smart charger" it turns on by you off by it's self, it also has a desulfater(sp) i hadto do this this spring (i for got to charge it once a month) i'm going to just get a tender it's just easer since my storage has no electric I must pull my battry out and pull and pull and pull.....so afraid of it cracking it!! B.L.W.B. (bad luck with battery meeting) I thought I was the only one!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #4517
Send a message via AIM to buckfever5 Send a message via Yahoo to buckfever5
Thanks for the info! I will be looking in to getting a battery tender this weekend.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
best atv battery
best atv battery tender

best battery tender for atv

how long do atv batteries last
how long should an atv battery last
how to charge a polaris ranger battery
polaris atv battery tender
polaris battery maintenance

polaris battery tender

polaris battery tender charger 2859044
polaris ranger 400 battery
polaris ranger battery size
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.