Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15054
Rear inner cv boot replacement

I'm in the middle of replacing my rear inner cv boot, and I'm told that there is a c-clip somewhere on the axel to remave, so that you can split the axel from the cv joint, where is this c-clip, I have all the grease wash away, but I don't see a c-clip anywhere?????
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
Looks like you and I are in the same boat! I am in the middle of doing mine as well. There is a snap ring that holds the bearings inside the CV joint housing...it is in a recessed groove about 1-2mm from the outside edge of the CV joint housing...you can get it out with a screwdriver. There is also a snap ring that is on the axle, underneath the ball bearing "knuckle" that is inside the ball bearing carrier...get that off, and then the cv joint is off the axle and you can put a new boot on it.

Now, that being said, I am in the process of putting mine back together, and I cannot remember which way the bearing carrier goes in the CV housing???? I am thinking the smaller diameter end towards the outside of the cv joint (towards the axle)...is this right? It seems that it allows the most range of motion that way?? Also, what is the best way to get that snap ring off the axle? I used a dead blow hammer and pounded the ball bearing "knuckle" thingie...the thing that goes inside the ball bearing cage....off the axle and the snap ring was still sitting in the groove on the axle...surely this is not the correct way to do it???? In the service manual I have, it is not real clear on the best way to get it off or to get it back on for that matter. Hopefully someone can chime in here and help us both out
Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #20465
Project Fire Duck: 2011 Sportsman 500 Rebuild

Page 6 of The Fire Duck thread has pictures on how to assemble the CV joint.

You can see which way the taper of the inner race faces. Also, there is a grooved ring around the cage which must face inboard. Page 7 has pictures of the outboard CV joint.

Cheers.

Last edited by bezerk1; 03-16-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezerk1 View Post
Project Fire Duck: 2011 Sportsman 500 Rebuild

Page 6 of The Fire Duck thread has pictures on how to assemble the CV joint.

You can see which way the taper of the inner race faces. Also, there is a grooved ring around the cage which must face inboard. Page 7 has pictures of the outboard CV joint.

Cheers.
thats what I needed. Thanks friend!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Looks like you and I are in the same boat! I am in the middle of doing mine as well. There is a snap ring that holds the bearings inside the CV joint housing...it is in a recessed groove about 1-2mm from the outside edge of the CV joint housing...you can get it out with a screwdriver. There is also a snap ring that is on the axle, underneath the ball bearing "knuckle" that is inside the ball bearing carrier...get that off, and then the cv joint is off the axle and you can put a new boot on it.

Now, that being said, I am in the process of putting mine back together, and I cannot remember which way the bearing carrier goes in the CV housing???? I am thinking the smaller diameter end towards the outside of the cv joint (towards the axle)...is this right? It seems that it allows the most range of motion that way?? Also, what is the best way to get that snap ring off the axle? I used a dead blow hammer and pounded the ball bearing "knuckle" thingie...the thing that goes inside the ball bearing cage....off the axle and the snap ring was still sitting in the groove on the axle...surely this is not the correct way to do it???? In the service manual I have, it is not real clear on the best way to get it off or to get it back on for that matter. Hopefully someone can chime in here and help us both out
well I got my boot replaced, but this snap ring as mentioned above is a mystery to me, as I know where to look for it, because I found a youtube vid showing where its suppose to be, and yep according to the vid, its right where you say it is.....BUT mine doesn't have it. All I did was give my axel good couple of sharp pulls, and the axel popped out of the cv joint, leaving the cv joint in place still in the rear differental.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
Quote:
Originally Posted by idler8 View Post
Quote:

well I got my boot replaced, but this snap ring as mentioned above is a mystery to me, as I know where to look for it, because I found a youtube vid showing where its suppose to be, and yep according to the vid, its right where you say it is.....BUT mine doesn't have it. All I did was give my axel good couple of sharp pulls, and the axel popped out of the cv joint, leaving the cv joint in place still in the rear differental.
different rings. There is a retaining ring on the axle side of the cv joint that keeps your bearings and carrier inside the cv joint housing....when I took mine off, we did the same as you...the CV joint housing was still on the rear diff....I used a couple of large screwdrivers and popped it off the rear gearcase...there is a large snap ring there that holds the CV housing to the gearcase.

How did you get the CV joint back onto the axle? THere is a small snap ring that sits in the groove on the axle...did you just pound the joint on over it? The only way to get the boot on the axle is to take the joint off...I am just having some issues on getting the joint back onto the axle now
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #15054
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by idler8 View Post
Quote:

different rings. There is a retaining ring on the axle side of the cv joint that keeps your bearings and carrier inside the cv joint housing....when I took mine off, we did the same as you...the CV joint housing was still on the rear diff....I used a couple of large screwdrivers and popped it off the rear gearcase...there is a large snap ring there that holds the CV housing to the gearcase.

How did you get the CV joint back onto the axle? THere is a small snap ring that sits in the groove on the axle...did you just pound the joint on over it? The only way to get the boot on the axle is to take the joint off...I am just having some issues on getting the joint back onto the axle now
lol, not on mine....what keeps the bearings in place inside the joint is hard to explain, but it looks like someone (at the factory) used a punch, and punched each bearing track that each ball sits in...putting a flat spot on each track, so the balls can't go by it. There is no snap ring there. I actually intended to pop the whole axel out of the diff, so I gave it a couple of real good pulls, and the axel came, the joint did not, works for me,lol. And I simple replaced the retaining ring on the splined shaft, put it back in the joint, put the put the main axel nut back on the wheel side of the axel, and gave it a couple of taps with the hammer, and it popped back into place, I'm guessing it was a fluke that the axel came apart from the joint, instead of the joint comming out of the diff,lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
ATV Enthusiast
Premium Member

Member #28617
How did you get the CV joint back onto the axle? THere is a small snap ring that sits in the groove on the axle...did you just pound the joint on over it? The only way to get the boot on the axle is to take the joint off...I am just having some issues on getting the joint back onto the axle now[/QUOTE]lol, not on mine....what keeps the bearings in place inside the joint is hard to explain, but it looks like someone (at the factory) used a punch, and punched each bearing track that each ball sits in...putting a flat spot on each track, so the balls can't go by it. There is no snap ring there. I actually intended to pop the whole axel out of the diff, so I gave it a couple of real good pulls, and the axel came, the joint did not, works for me,lol. And I simple replaced the retaining ring on the splined shaft, put it back in the joint, put the put the main axel nut back on the wheel side of the axel, and gave it a couple of taps with the hammer, and it popped back into place, I'm guessing it was a fluke that the axel came apart from the joint, instead of the joint comming out of the diff,lol.[/QUOTE]

Did you "re-stake" the metal holding the bearing cage down? My kit directions says to re-stake it, but I'm not sure how deep the bearing cage sits in the plunging house and how to re-stake it.

Thanks.

RFW

2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM
ATV Enthusiast
Premium Member

Member #28617
Got it all back together and seems to be running good. I didn't need to re-stake the bearings in the plunging joint as I didn't realize I had the ring to hold them in.

Good thread, thanks for all the information!

RFW

2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2012 polaris sportsman rear cv joint replacment
how do change the rear inner cv boot on a polaris ranger
how put a c clip on polaris razor
how to replace rear cv boot on a 2008 polaris ranger

official website on removal of inner cv axle on rear of a 2013 polaris ranger

polaris 500 rear boot replacement
polaris fourwheeler replacing rear boot
polaris ranger rear cv boot replacement

polaris rear axle boot replacement

replacing inner rear axel cv boot on 2012 polaris rzr

replacing rear cv boot polaris ranger

sportsman 500 rear inner cv boot
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.