Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Stator, battery & lighting help needed!

Hey fellows my son has a Polaris outlaw 50. This model has headlights that are basically running lights and are not bright at all. These lights run off of the stator so they only come on while the bike is running and get brighter with more throttle input. I wanted to change the light out for one that he could use at night. So first I took out the existing two bulbs and found that they were 15watts a piece (total 30 watts). I used this as a guide so I ordered an led light that had a max of 15 watts (Rigid industries dually, just a single one). I disconnected the factory running lights and used the same wires to power the new light. The weird thing is now is that when I start the bike and flip on the switch the light is bright, but with the more throttle input the light actually dims to the point were it is not bright enough to actually use. Can anyone explain this or have an idea that could help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10066
That's interesting. What happens if you rev up the bike and keep it revved up while turning on the light? The Rigids have under and over voltage protection and operate between 9v and 36v. So if on start up the initial voltage is 9v and as you rev it up the voltage goes higher, the internal circuitry might think it's getting over voltage. Not sure but something to test.
handguards
Warn XT25 winch
Ricochet arm guards(anodized black)
Polaris front & rear brushguards
LED tail lights www.autolumination.com
HID light kit http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/ATV-HID-Lights-s/54.htm
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
That's interesting. What happens if you rev up the bike and keep it revved up while turning on the light? The Rigids have under and over voltage protection and operate between 9v and 36v. So if on start up the initial voltage is 9v and as you rev it up the voltage goes higher, the internal circuitry might think it's getting over voltage. Not sure but something to test.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that and it made no difference at all. If I hook it up directly to the battery it works just fine. My only worry is that the stator wont be able to keep up and it will drain the battery dead. I suppose ill let my son ride it this weekend that way and see what happens....
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10066
Well that sucks. See if you can get a hold of tech support at Rigid.
handguards
Warn XT25 winch
Ricochet arm guards(anodized black)
Polaris front & rear brushguards
LED tail lights www.autolumination.com
HID light kit http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/ATV-HID-Lights-s/54.htm
Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6903
what's the voltage at the battery while at idle and at higher rpm's?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
what's the voltage at the battery while at idle and at higher rpm's?

I'll check that as soon as I get home from work and let ya know.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Ok I checked the voltage and came up with this. At the battery at idle 13volts and wide open throttle (wot) it was 13.6 volts. I also checked the voltage on the wires coming from the stator and the voltage was 12volts at idle and 13.5 at wot. Only problem with the voltage coming from the stator was that is AC not DC. I called rigid and they said the problem was it was AC and needed to be DC. So I wonder what I could do to get the light to run off the stator and not the battery? The guy at rigid ind. said the light would probably drain the battery over a long period of time riding.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #6903
Correct. It is ac from the stator to the bridge rectifier. After that, its dc. So why don't you just hook up a fused lead from your battery to your on/off switch that you already mounted. Then your good to go.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #22134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Correct. It is ac from the stator to the bridge rectifier. After that, its dc. So why don't you just hook up a fused lead from your battery to your on/off switch that you already mounted. Then your good to go.

Thats exactly what I did. I also checked the battery voltage with the bike running and it sat at 13.2volts at idle and 13.8 at wot. There was no change in voltage with the light on and off. I also checked it at idle with the light on and the brake light on and the voltage dropped to 12.6 but it did hold and did not drop anymore than that. So basically I think im good to go!!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Sounds right from here.And I hate electrical!!!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
atv can i hook up headlight to stator
change battery polaris 50
how do you get lights to work off a stator

how to change battery in polaris outlaw 50

how to take stator off 06 polaris outlaw
led off stator
polaris outlaw 50 led headlights
polaris outlaw 50 stator
polaris xplorer 300 led headlights
voltage keeps dropping idle brake lights stator

why do lights hook to stator not battery

will led lights run on an ac stator
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.