Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Lightbulb Exhaust seal replacement to exhaust wrap

So, as some of you know, I recently discovered an exhaust leak on my wife's 2007 Sportsman 700. OKay. So it had been there all along bu I was now, after a year of ownership, getting around to fixing it. Too many other things had cropped up that were Right Now issues.

As I usually do before starting a project I asked around and did a little research. The seal requiring replacement was the donut between the manifold pipe and the main exhaust pipe. I was told it was simple and all I had to do was release the springs holding it together, pull it apart, replace the seal, and reattach the springs. So I ordered the new seal.

Well as murphy says, "Simple ATV repairs, aren't." I pulled the springs, pulled out what was left of the old exhaust seal and slipped the new seal over the manifold flange... Or tried to. It was warped. No longer round. Not going to seal EVER. It was more the shape of a link in a chain, than it was round. So off I go to order a new manifold and seal.

In the meantime, I read a thread by Kalani938 about repainting exhaust. Now I have put a lot of time into making the wife's ride look nice and work well. But Kalani's right. A nasty rusted exhaust brings it down. I figure I've already got it apart. I may as well finish pulling it out and repaint it. So out it comes. I pulled the springs holding the muffler on and the bolts holding the muffler in place. Slid the muffler off. Now weaseling the exhaust out wasn't easy, but not impossible either. Disconnect the shift linkage and pull a couple of push pins from the rear plastics and it can be pried out without removing too much. Time to get to business.

I started sanding it down and got pretty far but it still wasn't great. So I took it to my friend's house and borrowed his sandblaster. That did the trick.

I then primed it with rustoleum rust converting primer and painted it with Rustoleum high temp 2000 degree flat black paint.

So that was ready. I still had no new manifold pipe though. I decided to at least get the old one out. Problem is the bolts holding it in are allen head screws and not easy to get to. I asked around and ended up with my new favorite tool. My long 6mm ball end allen socket. It worked like a charm for getting these screws in and out without having to develop incredible hulk fingers to turn an allen wrench while reaching into the tiny recesses of the ATV.

So there I sit. Manifold off. Exhaust all repainted and ready to go in. Still waiting on my new manifold. So I read a thread.... (uh-oh)
This time it is about wrapping exhaust to trap heat in, keep plastics from melting, and keep one's right leg from burning. Well,l we all know how hot a person's right leg can get while riding. Especially my wife, who tends to be vocal about things she does not like. I want her to be comfortable so that she wants to ride more, not less. So I figure, what the hell. I already have the exhaust out....

And off to the store I go.

At AutoZone I buy some ThermoTec exhaust wrap. Bring it home. Get it wet. Wrap the exhaust. Clamp it with hose clamps. Let it sit to dry as I sit back and admire my handy work with a beer in hand.

While it is drying, I read the directions. After it is dry I am supposed to spray it with ThermoTec Hi-Heat aftercoating. Hmm. Put down the beer. Thankfully I had only barely started it. I get back to AutoZone to discover that ..... They don't sell the aftercoating. Home I go to order it online.
Thankfully yesterday my new manifold and my aftercoating showed up at the same time. Same FedEx man and everything. So I wrapped the manifold. As it was drying I aftercoated the exhaust pipe and sprayed the muffler with the aftercoat as well.

I picked the aluminum color for the wife's Silver and Black Sportsman. It looked kinda silly before install. But pretty good now that it is in. Once the manifold wrap dried, I sprayed that with aftercoating and everything dried overnight. This morning I put the whole thing back together.

Her ATV finally sounds like a 700 instead of a model T. It no longer backfires when the throttle is released. And after running it up and down the street a few times at 70 MPH, when the fan kicked on (AKA it was hot) I couldn't feel any heat on my leg. I couldn't feel any heat with my hand held down by where my leg sits. I could almost touch the manifold without getting burnt. I think the wrap may be a success.
Next week i will warm up my unwrapped 2004 and her now wrapped 2007, warm them both until the fan comes on, then use an infrared thermometer to check the temp of the manifolds, mufflers, and that spot where the heat vents on your right leg. If there is a huge difference, the '04 is getting wrapped as well.

I will give one word to from the wise. I learned today that you should put the exhaust pipe back in place, then rebolt the manifold in place. I tried rebolting the manifold, and it was in the way of rotating the pipe down into place after threading it through.

Back off the manifold came. Pipe got rotated down. Manifold went back on. Thank god for my ball end allen socket.

Thanks for reading. I hope you learned something. Feel free to ask questions, make comments, give criticism, or just plain heckle.
Below is a link to the photobucket album of the work in progress.

http://photobucket.com/polarissportsmanexhaustwrap
RotoPax 2+2 gallon Fuel Packs, EPI HD Springs (all 4 corners) 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Last edited by KICKER431; 03-28-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Well, I for one thinks it looks great!!!!!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Thanks Reno. I'm kinda sad that no one else has commented yet. I thought this might spark some conversations.
RotoPax 2+2 gallon Fuel Packs, EPI HD Springs (all 4 corners) 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
It's late bud, they'll hit it tomarrow!!!! No matter what I like it!!!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Member #23761
What's the purpose of the aftercoating?

I actually liked it better before the silver coating... Just my opinion. I had no idea they carried that wrap at autozone either. It is now TOTALLY on my list of cool things to do.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:15 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23642
Kicker. Im in the process of doing the exhaust on my 700 over, just picked up my heat paint yesterday,now your putting more ideas in my head lol.Your exhaust looks good man. I do have one question for ya, The springs on the exhaust, did you use a spring tool to get them off or needle noise vise grips. They look tight

Last edited by wolf; 03-23-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23146
Looks good!!!!
Did that stuff you sprayed on the wrap make it water proof? If not, don't park that when its wet or you wont have any pipe left. A wet wrap will eat your pipe in no time.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24191
I wrapped mine

I have wrapped a couple of them one on my 02 sportsman and one on my 99 big bear I think its a good idea to keep heat away from the engines and off my leg as far as it making the pipe rust let it run for a few minutes after you wash it or better yet take it for a ride LOL
heated grips
customized muffler
heat wrap pipe
2 halogen beams
tamarack passenger pegs
HERS
99 350 Big Bear
14" SS wheels
ITP baja cross 26" tires
Kolpin fr.-Back bags
thumb throttle extender
custom exhaust
3" additional lights on front
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Smasheromalley: I too liked it black better. I don't think the silver looks bad on her ATV. The aftercoating comes in black too. I bought a can of that for if/when I do mine. Silver exhaust would have looked terrible on my camo quad. the after paying comes in black. Aluminum, or copper.
Cvcobra & Smasher: The aftercoating has resins and polymers in it that stiffen and protect the wrap. It does not make it waterproof though so I will be running it to dry the wrap .after it gets wet. Thanks for that advice.
Wolf: harbor freight t-handled brake amd headlight spring tool. They are tight!!! The tool has a hook on the end though so if you cant pull them back over the loop, you can lay the tool on the loop and pry the spring forward. Thank the maker I've been hitting the weights this year. And thanks to Clinebo for putting menonto the tool. Without the $6 spent on that I would still be home cussing the springs.

26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKER431 View Post
Thanks Reno. I'm kinda sad that no one else has commented yet. I thought this might spark some conversations.
We still love ya, man.

The pipe looks good. Making a wrap job look good is not as easy as it sounds. If the wrap works, you might think of ceramic coating the pipes as a permanent solution. It's pricey, but I know a group of Polaris owners who ride the Arizona desert with ceramic coated pipes and they have no issues. Ceramic coating will create heat resistance causing the heat to take the path of least resistance through the muffler.

I actually wrapped mine for a different reason on the 700 when I put the new fuel pump in it last fall. I haven't ridden it since, so I unwrapped it. Kinda silly, but I decided to see if the new fuel pump and gas tank foil fixed the problem first before I added the wrap.

I haven't had the right leg heat problem. Maybe its because of where I live and I have to wear pants AND Goretex pants to stay dry and warm, even in the summer. That may change when I move to the lower 48 in a couple years.

Stew

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips

Last edited by AKStew; 03-23-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

atv exhaust repair

autozone exhaust wrap

how to change a muffler on a 1997 polaris 500 atv

how to change muffler on 2006 polaris sportsman

how to repair atv muffler

how to replace atv exhaust gaskets correctly
is ther something i can put on my atv muffler to re duce heat on my leg
oil leaking from exhaust manifold bolts on atv
polaris 700 sportsman exhaust problums

putting header wrap on motorcycle pipe joints to seal

replacement exhaust system polaris 700 twin
sportsman 700 exhaust install
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.