Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM

Member #24873
Polaris shifting problem

Hi
I bought a 05 Polaris Magnum about two years ago I think seller was the original owner anyways the other day I was riding it I stopped and shut it off got back on about a half hour later and it would not shift into low or high so I forcefully put it into high. It's never had this problem before it just started out of now where. Today I was riding it and now it will not come out of high gear and the shifter has a lot of forward and backward play. The shifter linkage has no adjustment on it. The idle is 1180 RPM. I just changed the transmission with Polaris oil but it didnt help none. Any body have any ideas why it's doing this?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
WELCOME!

Are you depressing the rear brake when shifting? Sportsmans have this in these years and not depressing it makes it very hard to impossible to shift.

The linkage can bind check that too..

Its likely you bent something when forcing it, double check the linkage and try removing it to see if it shifts then...

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal 12V plug. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM

Member #24873
Yes on this magnum you have to depress brake lever to shift into park and high. I wasn't getting any replies on this website or any other websites so I took it into a mechanic I'll update this post what the problem was in case anyone else is having similar problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page

having problems with my polaris not wanting to come out of gear

polaris 325 shifting problems
polaris atv not shifting

polaris atv shifting problems

polaris problems

polaris quad shifting problem
polaris rzr shift issue

polaris rzr shifting problems

polaris shift linkage problems
polaris shifter problem

polaris shifting problem

polaris shifting problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.