Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Member #26187
05 Sportsman 500 4x4 H.O. Overheating problem. Help?

Ok, I'm angry at this time. I recently had my 2005 Sportsman 500 H.O. 4x4 in the local shop. I had problems with it overheating, the battery, and the starter. I got it back earlier this week. Today, I decided to take it to the woods to test the new repairs. I was on the dirt roads in HI for about 5 minutes. I looked down and saw that it was running hot, AGAIN! I loaded it up and brought it back home. Any ideas what could be wrong with it? I already had the ECM replaced twice.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22123
Ok but what other actions has been taken with it apart from the ECM, changing that would be the last thing to do, the first would be to check the temperature sensor.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #19868
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry623 View Post
Ok, I'm angry at this time. I recently had my 2005 Sportsman 500 H.O. 4x4 in the local shop. I had problems with it overheating, the battery, and the starter. I got it back earlier this week. Today, I decided to take it to the woods to test the new repairs. I was on the dirt roads in HI for about 5 minutes. I looked down and saw that it was running hot, AGAIN! I loaded it up and brought it back home. Any ideas what could be wrong with it? I already had the ECM replaced twice.
I have an 06 500 and mine too was overheating. Here's what I did.

1.)Oil change. Make sure you change both oil compartments. A lot of people think it only drains from one spot, and leave the back half of the oil still in there. Engine friction creates A LOT of heat, and fresh oil makes a huge difference.

2.) Radiator flush. Open the bottom valve of the radiator and empty it, take a water hose and inster it into the radiator via the main opening and turn it on. I left mine on for about 5 minutes until there was nothing but water coming out. Leave it to dry for about an hour, clove the bottom valve and fill it up with factory coolent.

Those two items are important because they are what mainly keep your engine cool. As long as your fan is turning on correctly, and you're not riding in mud, it's probably those two things I mentioned. If those have already been done, then I would take it to the shop to check sensors, or to run a full dignostic.

Always go the cheapest route first unless you've got a lot of money to spend. else you're probably going to give your local polaris stealership a stimulas package they probably don't deserve
Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 AM

Member #26187
To woodyhunter, thank you so much, I've actually had problems with my radiator in the past. And I would've never thought of the oil thing.

To picpic, I don't know much about atv's, so I have no idea what that is. Can you give me some more info on that? And just all that I've told you.

Thank you for your help!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #24765
the ECM is your Engine Control Moduler i dont know if you had a recall but the dealer would know just give them the V.I.N i would def go with what woodyhunter said sounds like the best place to start. If you do that and it is still happening make sure you listen to hear that ur fan is coming on. I know a bad PDM (power distrubtion moduler) which holds the voltage Regulator can mess up the raditor. Try to stay away from dealership as much as possible between everyone in here we can all help!!Welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your findings!!

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi H.O, 3000lb Viper Elite winch with remote, 27 inch STI Black Diamond XTR, 12" STI HD Alloy C7 Rims, Front and rear EPI Heavy Duty springs, Rhino front axles, Ricochet Front & Rear A-Arm Guards, Polaris front and rear bumpers, Kolpin hand guards, Front rack extender, Sportsman Rear Box w/seat lock & ride, 54" Light weight Eagle belly mount plow, Engine Ice, K&N Air Filter
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20421
Does anyone know of a after market number for the radiator cap for a 02 7oo sportsman? I had a overhead problem too on my 500. Replaced the cap and changed fluid, haven't had problem since. My comment.. is it actually overheating or just the light. I used a head sensing gun and found mine wasn't overheating at all, so I replace the sending unit.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22123
The temperature sensor is normaly mounted on the left side of the cylinder. I dont know you model exactly but on my Sportsman 500 2007 the temperature sensor can be checked using a multimeter. Disconnect the two pin electrical connector and connect your multimeter to it. Set the multimeter to ohm. The specified resistance should be 37300 - 39200 ohm. That is on my mashine, yours may differ but give it a try and see what you get. If the sensor is faulty it might signal the engine is hot even though its not.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10907
Are the radiator fins clean or full of mud/debris?

Packed fins won't let the radiator work and causes overheating........
'90 Trail Boss 250
'08 110cc Taotao

Quote:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~Ronald Reagan
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #20421
Once I replaced the coolant and the radiator cap I have no more issues with it. Thanks for the replys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
overheating

Search tags for this page
05 polaris sportsman 800 overheating
2002 polaris sportsman 500 overheating
2005 polaris sportsman 500 fan not working
2005 polaris sportsman 500 ho problems

2005 polaris sportsman 500 overheating

2005 polaris sportsman 500 voltage regulator
polaris 500 overheating problem

polaris atv overheating troubleshooting

polaris sportsman 500 overheating problems

polaris sportsman overheating
polaris sportsman overheating problems
why does my polaris sportsman overheating
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.