Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26034
starter crankcase bushing destroyed

here is some pics of my 2007 polaris Trail Boss 330 starter crankcase bushing destroyed, and the pieces are stuck to the pick up coil ( I think it's called) you can also see where the gear was grinding into the casing

I corrected one problem a few days ago (no start condition) and yet another appears.The engine acted like it was hard to turn over today

I have been having a grinding noise coming from the recoil housing, when trying to start the polaris. I removed the recoil housing to discover the bendix was hanging up and not retracting off the fly wheel ring gear. I removed the bendix to inspect it, and discovered this other issue, a destroyed starter crankcase bushing

I think the bendix spring has been weaken from the binding and now will not snap back in place quickly. I will replace it, however the bushing is another issue
What is the best way to remove this bushing and will it be easy to find another bushing for replacement>
thanks for your time
[IMG]The engine acted like it was hard to turn over today[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22643
Don't know if you can get a L shape behind that and use a slide hammer to pull it. Might also try a Pilot Bearing puller. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7183
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmartin_gila View Post
. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred
Right on the money! I replaced mine and used a tap to do it! Just make sure that the tap that your using is not pointy on the tip. If so it will crack the crank case. I used a grinder to flatten the tip of the tap and it worked great, just use a little lube and you'll be fine!
26" Mudlite XL's, Clutch Kit, 3 Headlight Mod, 1/4" Front Wheel Spacers, 1" Front Spring Spacers, Uni Filter, Heated Grips, 12V Electrical Accessory Panel, Etrex GPS Handlebar Mount and hardwire, Passenger Seat with Cargo, Horn, Snorkeled Vent Tubes, Mossy Oak Graphic Vinyl Wrap, 2500 Runva Winch, ShockPro's Camo Shock Covers
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
I had an old guy show me how to remove this style bushing by packing it full of grease and using a bolt the same size as the opening. Once it's full of grease insert the bolt and smack it with a hammer. most usually pop right out. I've used this trick for years.
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26034
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENOBADBOY View Post
I had an old guy show me how to remove this style bushing by packing it full of grease and using a bolt the same size as the opening. Once it's full of grease insert the bolt and smack it with a hammer. most usually pop right out. I've used this trick for years.
thanks for the input
I have used this trick myself, however I'm concerned about the aluminum casing, it may fracture or worse, using this method
Old 05-29-2012, 04:30 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26034
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisRich View Post
Quote:
. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred
Right on the money! I replaced mine and used a tap to do it! Just make sure that the tap that your using is not pointy on the tip. If so it will crack the crank case. I used a grinder to flatten the tip of the tap and it worked great, just use a little lube and you'll be fine!
thanks for the info
not sure how your removal techniques work, however something to consider
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26034
Quote:
Don't know if you can get a L shape behind that and use a slide hammer to pull it. Might also try a Pilot Bearing puller. In a pinch, I have used a tap to cut threads in a blind bearing like that and if you can keep turning it, it will push the worn bearing out or at least give you enough threads to use a bolt to pry it out. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Fred
thanks for the info
sounds like several good ideas , I'm still thinking on how to approach this with the lease damage to crankcase
Old 05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26034
the blind bearing removal tool is not cheap. so going to scrap that idea for now
Old 05-29-2012, 04:57 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #26743
Maybe a modified easy out tool? Since there reverse threaded. You could use a hack saw and cut it down to fit...cheap solution maybe
Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
Quote:
Might also try a Pilot Bearing puller.
Fred
I have this same issue with my 500. The Bendix bushing is cracked. It is not as bad as the one in the picture. I couldn't figure out how to get the bushing out so I greased it up and put a very thin stainless washer over the Bendix shaft to act as a thrust washer and put it back together. I would really like to fix it properly. How does a pilot bearing puller work?
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
07 polaris sportsman 500 efi front hacks
2005 polaris 700 sportsman bendex bushing
atv starter bushing removal

bendix on a 07 polaris sportsman 500 efi

how to remove starter bendix bushing yamaha jet
polaris 500 sportsman bendix bushings
polaris 700 starter bushings
polaris atv crankcase starter bushing replacement 2003

polaris bendix bushing

polaris sportsman 500 bendix bushings

polaris starter drive bushing

sportsman 500 starter drive bushings problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.