Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Member #26960
1995 Polaris Trail Boss 250 cut out

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1995 Polaris Trail Boss 250 for my wife. It ran fine when we purchased it but now it is cutting out on low rpms. I checked the fuel and filled the tank up as it was getting low. I also filled up the oil injection tank. It didn't make a difference. So I then looked at the air filter and it was fine. I checked the fuel filter and it was fine and clear fuel passed freely to the carb. I then checked the spark plug and it didn't look fouled so I cleaned it with some sand paper blew it off with some compressed air and reinstalled it. It still has the missing at low rpm's near idle. When you open it up from mid range to full throttle it runs great. It idles just fine too, but from idle to mid range it just cuts out or misses? I am going to try a new plug but I don't think that is the answer. I will also add that when I was riding it around the yard the other evening I would let off of the throttle and it would return back to idle but the thumb throttle goes past the correct spot and a little further in(throttle top isn't stopping it where it needs to be). When it does this it cuts out just like it does at low rpms. I wasn't sure if the TORS is causing this problem or not? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance. Please let me know if you need any further information? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Adjust the throttle cable to 1/8" of play to keep the switch from activating. Also the needle needs to have the clip dropped one slot. You might even think of going one step larger on the idle jet.
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Member #26960
Thanks Renobadboy, I will try that and see what happens. I will also mention that I had the top off of the throttle assembly looking for some way to keep the thumb throttle from returning too far. I took everything apart and put it back together in the same order but I believe that is where the trouble started. I didn't move or adjust anything but it ran fine for a while and then little by little it started acting up. So, I am guessing when I took it apart I moved something? I'll try your advice and see. I did notice there is a throttle stop on the bottom of the housing but it is adjusted all the way out now and the thumb throttle still goes too far in towards the bike. Oh well try to fix something and develop a new problem story of my life! lol! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again. My wife really enjoys the atv but doesn't like to go fast around the yard. It started cutting out like it wasn't getting gas but as I said it isn't that and then I thought fouled plug but it looks good too. I read on the Blaster forums a lot of people eliminate the TORS but I don't want to do that. I want the atv as safe as possible for her.

Bruce, Thanks! I appreciate the welcome. I look forward to reading posts and hopefully being a contributing member too.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Member #26960
Renobadboy,
I adjusted the throttle cable as you said to and it fixed the issue. Now it will run around the yard at low rpm's and no cutting out. Thanks so much! I appreciate the advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1995 polaris 250
1995 polaris 250 trailboss

1995 polaris trail boss 250

1995 polaris trail boss fuel filter
1995 polaris trailboss 250

95 polaris 250 trail boss

95 polaris trail boss 250

95 polaris trail boss 250 clutch psring
polaris trail boss 250 problems

polaris trail boss 250 spark plug

trail boss rpms
what spark plug does the polaris trail boss 250 use
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.